Resin capsuled Idolo speimen

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisherman_Brazil

Reaction score
P1011525.jpg

P1011524.jpg

P1011526.jpg

P1011529.jpg

P1011528.jpg

P1011527.jpg

P1011530.jpg

Holding this piece, in some way, just like holding a 20 karat diamond to me!

And enjoy the music if you will.

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORqZv3odh8

Kraus & McDaniel - Pearl Fishers duet

Very nice mate, guess the colours shouldn't fade now

Did you do it yourself?

WOW!!! impressive that's one large female idolomantis! Now i regret not keeping more dried specimen of this wonderful species :(
Don't worry! more opportunity are coming up!

Very nice mate, guess the colours shouldn't fade nowDid you do it yourself?
Yes, indeed! My friend.

Color was losing a little bit though, and hope not since now then!

Let us know the ingredient, and I think a lot of us will start making "ember"ized insect.
Many chemcal distibutor would sell this stuff, just make sure let it cured (dried up; cross-linked) slowly to minimize the bubbles.

That is VERY cool Luke!! What did you use and how long did it take to do? I may need to start preserving them that way. Much less trouble with broken legs later as well.
Actually, one of my grad student is conducting a study on the optimization of this manufacturing process. Currently I use Eposy resin, but eventually, other resin will be used. Go to the the hardware store and pick up the Epozy resin, which comes in part A and B (hardener), just mixing then up, and pour into a mold containing the dried specimen, and wait until it set. Currntly, 8 hours is all it takes!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can pick up a very similar acrylic compound at at your local walmart in the craft section. It is sold fo creating realistic looking fake water for fake flower arrangements. If done meticulously it can be made with virtually no bubbles.

That's amazing. Very nice work. You could definitely sell those but after making such an impressive piece of art I would want to keep it for my own viewing pleasure. What exactly did you use for a mold?

That's amazing. Very nice work. You could definitely sell those but after making such an impressive piece of art I would want to keep it for my own viewing pleasure. What exactly did you use for a mold?
Any soft plastic container, such as Rubbermaid(?), will do. Usually, PE material serves good for this purpose.

You can use any plastic container, such as that from grocery store, meat packing, but due to the fragile by nature, can be used only once.

Ask craft dpartment, they might carry mold particularly made for the purpose too. Friends from UK may PM Craig (Gurd) for exact sourcing.