Resurrecting mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a darth Vader mantis which I've had for a couple of weeks now and there a quite a few differences I'm finding between it and my giant african, however there is one thing she does that is particularly odd
My wife came home from picking up the kids today and found her face down at the bottom of her enclosure not moving at all, this is the second time this has happened and last time she sprayed her and she seemed fine however this time nothing happened when she was sprayed. My wife then messaged me to tell me she was dead and then just over a hour later she tells me that shes now upright. Since I've come home she seems to be moving around abit and swaying as normal 🤔 is this normal at all?

More details its happened once a week so far, her enclosure stays between 68 and 82% humidity, day temp 22-24 0c and night time is around 20 this time it may have happened while she was feeding as there was a dead feeder near her that I popped in this morning (alive of course) she gets a mist at least once a day.
Does anyone know what causes this or what I'm doing wrong?

If all her legs have been tucked close to the body, she was probably "playing dead" from something that startled her. Called thanatosis, this is something a lot of mantises, especially dead leaf mimics, do when they're scared. If she is otherwise eating and moving about normally, that'd be my guess.

Latest posts