Rhombodera cf valida HATCH (extreme closeup)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with agent A on this. It's part of the egg case, which is why the egg case is left dangling from it once it's been shed. Webbing would require a whole new set of complex organs that are never used again. It is pretty cool though.
What is it made from? It's really amazing that the female can make it, but it seems like it would be very intricate to make sure that every nymph has their own spinneret to hang from.

My cf valida ooth hatching would have been much less exciting to video...at least the hatch so far. It's produced 24 nymphs over a two day period. There are two more emerging from the ooth right now. After seeing your photos again, I'm considering getting my indoor macro set up going again. It's interesting how these hatch compared to others.

My cf valida ooth hatching would have been much less exciting to video...at least the hatch so far. It's produced 24 nymphs over a two day period. There are two more emerging from the ooth right now. After seeing your photos again, I'm considering getting my indoor macro set up going again. It's interesting how these hatch compared to others.
That's pretty strange. I wonder if the difference between our conditions could explain that. I'm pretty sure you incubate the same way I do though. Did the female lay very soon after breeding?

I'm guessing it's similar to the threads that you see each time a mantis molts. It seems the always have one from around where their legs meet their body, two threads.

I'm guessing it's similar to the threads that you see each time a mantis molts. It seems the always have one from around where their legs meet their body, two threads.
Those are actually the skin that lines the inside of their spiracles (the holes they breath through). ;)

I've been saving all those threads, I hope one day to be able to make a giant drill, not sure what I'd use it for, but I'm thinking I'd like to make it so you can ride inside of it.
You may be able to one day weave them into a sweater that makes you invulnerable. You could take over the world!

That's pretty strange. I wonder if the difference between our conditions could explain that. I'm pretty sure you incubate the same way I do though. Did the female lay very soon after breeding?
I mated her right before I left for Colorado (around 6/15/2012). She laid her first ooth between 7/3/2012 - 7/10/2012. I was away for four days during that period. Since it's already hatching and she laid her second ooth in early August, I assume it was closer to July 3.I've been incubating the valida ooth the same way I incubated the stalii ooths since I had a lot of success with them, but this is strange. There were some stalii nymphs that emerged the day before the big hatch, but then I had hundreds of nymphs emerge the next day within a few hours.

What?!?!? Who told you our plan?
I know the real and simple truth !!! I saw the excellent prediction film

1.jpg

which reveal your diabolic plane to invade us and transform us to that

2.jpg

great video i think I remember another one you took of the black skull caps, amazing stuff

congrats on the next generation

Oops! I meant to write in this post but I wrote in one of your other posts, not that the other post is bad the purple green mantid is really cool plus I always enjoy the cool soundtracts you incorporate into the videos. This one is amazing, I loved watching the little mantids breach into the new world, so alien like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts