Rhombodera stalii mating tips

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungryGhost

Reaction score
My pair of R. stalii are ready for mating. I read Rick's breeding tips thread but was wondering if any one had any tips specific to this mantid. Thanks in advance.

Watch Precarious' videos on mating aggressive mantids. My female wanted nothing more than to kill my male. I had to pry him out of her grasp many times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch Precarious' videos on mating aggressive mantids. My female wanted nothing more than to kill my male. I had to pet him out of her grasp many times.
I tried this morning. The female was out for blood, I gave her a cricket and she calmed a bit. The male was clueless. When he finally seemed to notice her he crept up behind her and then started cleaning his legs so she saw him again and I had to break it up. She gave me some strong pinches and bites but she didn't draw blood. I'll try again in a few days.

:no: I'm having same scenario, don't feel alone! At least till one of them is dead.....
I have two males and one female so if she eats one I have another shot. Man, she has become crabby as an adult. Always going into threat pose. She was so sweet before.

Here's the clueless couple. She just wants to eat everything, and he's afraid of his own shadow.

P1010889_zps15a7591f.jpg

Hahaha That is so cute. Tips from me... I don't ever leave the Rhombos alone in the very beginning of mating until I see that he is on and she is okay with it. I am probably just over protective, but I have had to get a few males out of female Rhombos clutches :) Good luck!

I have one cranky female - she is the only shield that ever threatened me. In fact, the first time she did it, she was only pre-sub and she apparently did not like the color/pattern of the sweater I was wearing. She has now molted to adult. My males are still sub adults though.

I won't be surprised if her behavior gets worse. :p I wonder what will happen when it's time for breeding.

Hahaha That is so cute. Tips from me... I don't ever leave the Rhombos alone in the very beginning of mating until I see that he is on and she is okay with it. I am probably just over protective, but I have had to get a few males out of female Rhombos clutches :) Good luck!
Oh I'm with you on that! I would never leave her alone with anything that moves, she's a beast. And I mean that in a good way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak for the rest of the ladies in this forum; but I know when I'm hungry, I turn into a beast and am out for blood. Ha!

Boy I'm going to have fun with two females and one male t.t I use a bamboo barbeque skewer stick and just hold it slightly behind her if she's aggressive. She will grab the stick instead of the male, it's better than getting your finger pinched. If she grabs him you can quickly shove the stick inbetween her clamping raptorials and shake her *gently though* to prevent her from biting and eventually she'll let go.

Wow, you guys are making nervous about trying to breed them. I wonder how long will my males last with the three females. I'm especially worried about that poor male that is slightly crippled from a mismolt - hopefully he molts perfectly when he reaches adult, or I'm probably not going to mate him, just to preserve his life. Well, at least I don't have to worry about breeding them for the time being, since my males haven't matured yet.

Latest posts