Rio

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
my buddie :) had him sinse a baby.this guy can eat for britan :eek:

The day i got him..bought him from my friend who breeds them.35£

2786480511_d6948d6b35_o.jpg

what he was housed in when he was a baby

tEST1000.jpg

Look at the size of his :lol:

tEST7.jpg

1-3.jpg

tEST8.jpg

667.jpg

look out..here come the grumpy colours,

1-4.jpg

687.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
shedding..gettting bigger

85.jpg

65.jpg

his new 110 gallon mesh cage with 5.0uv outside and 100watt basking lamp out side..Iv updated his cage sinse this image was taken.its looking much better now..for now tho heres the old one.

IMG_4771.jpg

hes getting older..and when hes mooody the colours are getting more birght and deeper

4858.jpg

4886.jpg

the cage which is now updated..seems like for a bit i was trying to get the cage how he wanted it.it is alot different now but il show u the progression..this is what he use to live in mayby 2 months ago

IMG_5319.jpg

7779.jpg

7710122.jpg

this is very funny..only ever found him doing this once but dam i laughed when i saw it.i found him alseep in his feeding cup..lmao

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8415.jpg

both images are taken on the same day with in 10 seconds of each other. :eek: :blink: amazing how they do this.

IMG_8820t.jpg

IMG_8818t.jpg

one of my latest images

Rio needs his sleep.11hours darkness he has.

3339994158_7df35a39c1_o.jpg

forgot to say..he gets calcium powder dusted on food 4X a week and 1 day a week he gets muti vit powder.i mist the cage 2x a day

Have always loved those. Will have one someday.

Have always loved those. Will have one someday.
there easier to care for than i thought.i was going to get a panther and all tho i still want one not just yet..the humidity needs to be a bit higher with them..but these ones(yemens) are used to hot dry conditions so humidity isnt a probelm..as long as i mist it 2x a day thats all that matters..amazing thing..i would love to get him laid now. :lol:

people make the mistake of getting glass tanks which arnt idea.This mesh cage is perfect for what i need..oh i also have the same net cage for my idolomantids.but thats a 55 gallon.

there easier to care for than i thought.i was going to get a panther and all tho i still want one not just yet..the humidity needs to be a bit higher with them..but these ones(yemens) are used to hot dry conditions so humidity isnt a probelm..as long as i mist it 2x a day thats all that matters..amazing thing..i would love to get him laid now. :lol: people make the mistake of getting glass tanks which arnt idea.This mesh cage is perfect for what i need..oh i also have the same net cage for my idolomantids.but thats a 55 gallon.
I have too many pets now so it will be awhile.

Great photos!

I had a problem with my young male's eyes this last week. Got some vitamin A pills (oil based) and spread that on some food. The poor guy couldn't see, but I was able to force feed him by giving him some water to drink and then sneaking the vitamin-coated bugs in while he was gulping water (from a spray bottle). His eyes are looking much better now! He's opening them and I expect him to resume normal feeding tonight.

Wowee! Thats such a cool animal! Oh how i wish we had chameleons here! Amazing! I didnt know they changed their shape too! reminded me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es52WQKLumI

they show this owl three other different birds and it assumes a completely different shape for each threat! These weird Japanese shows are...weird. but this is pretty cool.

Superfreak, your video link was a riot...can't wait to show my kids tomorrow!

Also, when the reptiles get up in the morning I'm going to load up the forum with MJ's photos and scroll through them next to my two chameleons (a male and a female). I'm going to see what their response is because I've had had chameleons for about a year now and MJ's photos almost seem more real than my chameleons do! Maybe they'll do what that amazing owl did in Superfreak's video link!

Yeah, this might sound like a cruel prank on my pets, but I had to type something chameleon-related so I could reply to Superfreak's link w/o going off topic! ;)

(My male hunted and ate on his own for the first time in a week. I'm not 100% sure the vitamin A worked, but he's looking so much better!)

Great photos!I had a problem with my young male's eyes this last week. Got some vitamin A pills (oil based) and spread that on some food. The poor guy couldn't see, but I was able to force feed him by giving him some water to drink and then sneaking the vitamin-coated bugs in while he was gulping water (from a spray bottle). His eyes are looking much better now! He's opening them and I expect him to resume normal feeding tonight.
why has this happened,any idea?

Yes, I didn't know chameleons changed shape like that either! :huh: Thanks for the education, MJ. :)

I loved your video link also, Olga. That owl cracked me up... he was great! Thanks for posting it. ;)

I think my son would enjoy the owl video too, Peter. Will have to show it to him when he gets home from school today. Glad your little guy is eating on his own and looking better. :) Oh, and good thing you ensured you didn't go off topic... Rick might have had to delete your post! :eek: :lol:

And I didn't completely go off topic either (see first sentence). ;) Sorry, Rick... couldn't resist! :D (why don't we have a little devil smiley?)

Iv'e always wanted one of these lil buggers, until I realized that most have a fairly short lifespan for a reptile. Tho they do seem to have quite the personality :lol:

Latest posts