RIP Mantis Nymph

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msteacher

Reaction score
One of the baby shield mantids I got, unfortunately, didn't make it. Wondering if the container I made was the reason it died or if it was just unlucky. Examining it, it looks like the little guys stomach was pretty flat so I think it just failed to hunt the fruit flies I put in there with it but wanted opinions on the jar anyway because I have two more and my cousin has one. All three other babies are doing well so far *knock on wood*

Here's a pic of the jar. I used a 1/2 pint canning jar, removed the center piece of metal and cut out lids made from cross stitch fabric and 100% cotton fabric. I hot-glued the two pieces of fabric to create a semi-rigid top they could hang from and used the cotton fabric to make sure the flies couldn't escape. I've been misting every other day for humidity and water.

IMG_20181012_145257727.jpg

IMG_20181012_145320935.jpg

Oh, no! I'm so sorry. Mantids are very fragile when they are young.

- MantisGirl13

Thanks everyone for your kind words :) I'm just glad there are three healthy babies still. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if my jar habitats could have contributed to the little ones early exit.

Latest posts