Roach and cricket loving mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcal

Reaction score
I know of a few mantis that prefer crawling insects over flying. I was hoping I could get a list going with different peoples experience with this. It's starting to seem easier to keep roaches in the garage vs flys in my fridge.

I have read that popas fit into this catergory loving crickets.

I have raised ghosts exclusively on crickets.

Dead leafs seems to prefer roaches...so I have read.

What's your experiences?

I know varied diet is best but just looking for a collective group of crawling prefered mantis.

Popa hierodula and tenodera love crix and roaches and stuff

Empusid species should only be fed flies and I only feed species in the hymenopodidae family flies :)

I always feed mantidae members crix :)

Hope this helps ;)

Yeah agent a is right. Shrodromantis also like crawlers.

My ghost hated flies because he couldnt catch any. He preffered crix. It was funny to watch him slowly move towards the fly and then having it fly away. They are a less active species so i think he gave up and woulld let the crix come to her.

Can you raise Budwings on earthbound bugs? That is, once they get past the FF stage?

Now that I think about it, flightless FFs are earthbound too.

Last edited by a moderator:
all the ones I have had love crickets and roaches, some I dont give to unless I have time, only cause I dont want to watch them. but buds eat them exclusively.
You feed all of yours these?

It seems like of you properly gut load you really don't have anything to worry about. Most of the flower mantis seems to be picky but I think I should get most other mantis take crawlers.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like of you properly gut load you really don't have anything to worry about. Most of the flower mantis seems to be picky but I think I should get most other mantis take crawlers.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I have 3 flower species.

My gambian is very picky and doesn't pursue much, but my Creobroter pictipennis will eat anything that catches her attention, although she likes to perch vertically or topside so anything ground crawling might not manage to catch her attention. I suspect the gemmatus will be the same way once they're past FFs.

Wiki species does, and I would not give crix to a creobroter, comparing a generation reared on crix to one reared on flies I saw that with crix adults r smaller, less prolific and more prone to constipation, an issue I see a lot with creos anyways, but that's just my experience, I don't give my hierodula crix unless im low on flies and need to save them for the ones who never should eat crix, I'd rather a flower mantis go hungry a few days than eat a cricket

I'll feed roaches to anything except empusidae species :)

My adult sphodro's love adult roaches.

Trouble is, they leave behind a big mess.

There will be legs, wings and various other body parts strewn about!!

They tend to start munching on the head end and work their way down.

When they are full, they just drop whatever is left on the floor for me to clean up!!

Also, if they dont actually see me put the roach in there, it will find a hidding place and

not move.

May take days before the mantis finally sees it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
my tenodera sp. actively hunted only crickets, grasshoppers or roaches... anything else and she would take a quarter hour to creep there (or would just sit and watch lol)

Latest posts