Roach Recommendation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chivalry

Reaction score
I think I'd like to start a couple of roach colonies, one smallish-medium one and one for my larger mantids. I'm kind of overwhelmed at the number of species available and I'd like some input on which ones are better and why. I definitely want something I can keep contained pretty easily. I have a 10 gal. fish tank that I think might work ok for one of them. I am thinking B. dubia and possibly S. lateralis.

Of those two, and any others you might recommend, about how many do I need to get a colony started, and how long before I can start feeding them off?

I started with dubias and added some hissers in the mix earlier in the year. They do well together (for me, anyway). Dubias are probably a better roach for mantids, as the hissers get real big real fast. You mostly feed the nymphs of the roaches, so once you get the colony started there is something of every size you could need. I started with the hissers for a bigger roach for my chameleons.

Dubia's are great, as Patrick said, you only really need one species. Once the adults start producing, there will be a wide range of sizes to choose from regarding the nymphs and growth.

I use lateralis as a smaller, weaker species and lobsters for a large species. Both breed like rats and the young lateralis are taken even by delicate mantids.