roaches as food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to get my Dubias to breed and make smaller dubias first. I'm waiting for the Dubia Ooth haha :wheelchair: Might never happen. I know I have a huge male and a couple huge females in the same warm tank with food and water for a while now.

I still think ooths are icky. :wacko:

Wait till I get to watch one of my mantises lay an ooth I will be grossed out haha.
Dubias don't lay an ooth. They keep the ooth internally and bare live young like hissers. One of mine just dumped a load of little white babies! I've yet to see it with my own two eyes though.

That pic looks like an adult female to me, but I'm no expert.

I can only get one of my gongylodes to eat dubias, only small ones, and I have to shake it around like a fly to get her to take them. My whipscorpion (the female died last night :( ) never even sees the dubias I put in. Like others have stated, they just hide and stay hidden. I guess they're a little too smart for feeders!

I made the switch from crickets to turkistan roaches at the beginning of the year and I have to say they are absolutely perfect. Easy to care for, no mess/smell and they breed like crazy! I haven't had one die on me yet either.

I find the freshly molted ones a bit creepy actually. *shudders*

Mine are quite noisy at night though. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure whether or not to feed my mantis a roach i found but i did anyway. I figured it would be safe since i found it outside. It's been a few days a she's been fat but fine. I'm not sure what kind of roach it was. Probably American

They are very interesting bugs, if u will excuse the expression, I find myself very drawn to them, much to my dismay! A lady I know feeds hers leftover fried chicken and all they leave is the bone! :lol:

Latest posts