robo mantis' ant pictures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robo mantis, have you ever considered a colony of pseudomyrmex apache??? i got me a young colony that seems to be doing pretty well. quite a fascinating species.

-josh

That is a very cool ant species! But, unfortunately for Robo, it doesn't range as far North as Indiana. He would need to make a road trip to find a colony. Where did you find your colony? Its range extends from southern CA across to TX. However, there is only a single record of it from southern NM. Afraid I just don't have the time to go on a mad search for it just yet.

P. apache is found in new mexico. in california, they are found most commonly on arctostaphylos (manzanita) and in arizona and new mexico, it is found on prosopis (mesquite) and palo verde. they like the thorn scrub habitat in the southern part of our states. there is another very cool species found here in arizona google it

cephalotes rohweri (turtle ant)

i found a colony of these in southern arizona and they didnt do to well for me. i would love to try them again if i can find anotehr colony.

Last edited by a moderator:
very cool forum. not too many people seem to be into ants. ive been fascinated by ants since i was a small kid.

hypoponera, we should get together some day.

-josh

Are you in CA or AZ? I have family in Tucson. I live in northern New Mexico. Let me know if you ever swing by! You can always come out for Balloon Fiesta! That's in the fall when ooths are easiest to find. Unfortunately, the assorted ant species in my front yard should start swarming in a couple weeks. I may have to start another colony of Dorymyrmex insanus this year.

Let me know if you need any ant info. If I have what you need, I can scan and email it! Ants were my insect of interest for the past several years before I got back into mantids.

i am in phoenix AZ. i could have gotten me a nice colony of fungus ants a few weeks back.... queen and all. it was tempting, but i passed. i have also thought about giving acromyrmex a try..... or even trying to find a queen atta mexicana in the organ pipe area. they are not too common though. i tend to be most interested in oddball and arboreal species. ive kept a couple odontomachus clarus colonies in the past. strumy. louisianae has been introduced to tucson and ive been tempted to get me a colony of those as well. ants are very cool and very unapreciated.

-josh

Latest posts