S. limbata ootheca help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ns22

Reaction score
I found these in Tucson. How do I incubate them? (I'd prefer for them not to hatch until spring.)

Thanks!

image.jpeg

Carefully hot glue them to a wooden stick or branch and set them up at a 45 degree angle in a 32 ounce Deli cup. Mist once a week. This species does not diapause for the winter.

Hatch will happen within 3 months or less. Make sure you have a quick source of fruit flies when they hatch. 

Separate after 2nd or 3rd molt or they will predicate too much on one another.

Good luck... Keep us posted.

@nys2004 Although Arizona does not have the usual winters as northern US states, they do have a cool dry winter and the Stagmomantis limbata should be adapted to that for it's diapause. Many mantises in the wild in Arizona often survive well into the winter time; however, they do not survive there year round so they must have a form of diapause.

Looking at the similar other warm Stagmomantis californica mantis species, in the caresheet for ooths it states this...

Oothecae:

A female will lay 3-6 ooths in her life. Ooths should be diapaused gently, ooths can hatch at high humidity and constant temps without diapause but it's recommended to subject the ooths to dry, cool (55-60 degrees) conditions for two months then incubate at about 75 degrees and 55% humidity.Hatching can take 1-4 months, so be patient. Nymphs are very dark when they hatch from the light tan, oval ooths, in contrast to limbata who hatch out light green from thin, deep brown ooths.
A quick search for average temperatures for Arizona over the winter months agrees with the above temperatures, for the dry cool (55-60F) diapause (here is the link). I hate to list a BugGuide link, but is one of the few places for this particular species, and it does indeed list a "diapause" for the S. limbata species too.

So if you provide a dry cool place to keep the ooths (perhaps a unheated attic or basement that is in the temperature range (especially at night)) for two months, they will hatch out 1 to 4 months after that as they were intended to in the wild. Otherwise provide them warmer temps and humidity and hatch them out and sale the excess nymphs in the classified section. ;)

This species is native to your area and location. I suggest do virtually nothing and they will hatch in the Spring just like nature intends for them! (Keep the Ootheca safe; outside, no direct sunlight, predators, light misting, etc.)

Here's my S. Limbata thread from; finding, identifying, mismolt, mating, laying Ootheca, hatching, maybe it will help guide you?

I left her Ootheca outside: misted twice a week on average, she laid mid Oct. - early April hatch the rest is history haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts