S. lineola with kind of black eye

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruben l

Reaction score
damn!

this morning, i saw my S. lineola female molted to become adult, then is was happy. buth then, all started to go wrong! :huh:

she was SKINNY, and worst of al! her eye is kind a black.... and on of her antenne's is hanging in it... :eek:

super-strange,

she can't catch food the normal way, cuz she can only see with one eye.

tomorrow, I'll try to feed her with a pincet,

and place some pics...

i HOPE you proffesionals can help this little n00b...

thanks a lot!!!

Sounds like the eye was damaged. It's not uncommon, and should't affect her ability to catch and eat prey. She's probably just not ready to eat yet after the molt. Just leave her alone, let her relax, and try feeding her tomorrow. I bet she'll be fine... ;) You can just think of the black eye as one of her special differences. :)

A pic would help. Many mantids including wild ones get black spots on the eyes. Some are small and others can cover the entire eye but they don't seem to cause any vision loss. If you do a search there are several threads here on the subject.

allright,

I tried to set her on the floor, and let a cricket in to her one eye sight.

she saw it and did nothing :huh:

pretty strange i think..

later, i tried to give her a full DEATH cricket (maybe she was afraid of the crickets movement)

again, no response...

she is really, really skinny, and here eye isn't a black dot.

but kind of a swallow...

hope the knowers behind this forum can help me ;)

allright,I tried to set her on the floor, and let a cricket in to her one eye sight.

she saw it and did nothing :huh:

pretty strange i think..

later, i tried to give her a full DEATH cricket (maybe she was afraid of the crickets movement)

again, no response...

she is really, really skinny, and here eye isn't a black dot.

but kind of a swallow...

hope the knowers behind this forum can help me ;)
Well of course she woulnd't get a dead cricket, movement is what attracts them to their food. Can you post a pic?

Well of course she woulnd't get a dead cricket, movement is what attracts them to their food. Can you post a pic?
Yeah. Not only that, but she needs both eyes to judge how far away from her the prey is. Ever see a mantis moving its head from side to side when it sees prey? It's judging the "strike zone."

It looks (sorry!) as though you are going to have to do "extreme feeding" until she either molts or dies. Take a live cricket, crush its head so that nice, tasty juices are seeping out, and touch it to the mantid's mouth parts -- Lectric' is a certified expert on this -- and after a few tries it should eat. Good luck.

Pincet(pincette)? -- est tu Canadienne, Ruben?

alright, extreme feeding then :huh:

how you keep the mantis not moving?

and, btw, i'm a belgian B)

alright, extreme feeding then :huh: how you keep the mantis not moving?

and, btw, i'm a belgian B)
Hi again Ruben,

Et ici il fait trois heures et quart, et mes amis Amricains sont endormis. But they will awaken, it is rude to speak in a language that others may not know, and your English is flluent, so back to it.

Belgian! By a happy coincidence, I was playing Jacques Brel's " Mijn vlakke land" (Le plat pays) before I checked here,and thinking that for someone with no French and perhaps a smattering of German (nobody else speaks Dutch!) as in "verdomde Mathilde," Flemish may be more approachable than French. So are you Flemish or Walloon (or from Bruxelles)? But enough nostalgie et conversation decousu, you were asking about how to keep a mantid still when you feed it.

No need. Just put the food with juices against her mouth and she will begin to eat. She may even try to sieze the food with her raptorial arms. Simple!

Good luck et bon chance, and I'm going back to Jacques Brel! :D

it worked, :lol:

cut the cricket open and hold it in front of her mouth B)

she grabbed it with her (i don't know what it is in English buth ;) ) her catch arms...

now, she's eating :)

one problem,

she's adult, can she molt still? :huh:

now again oftopic,

i'm from Flanders, from Aalst, near Gent :D 'spreek je nederlands misschien'

a little introduce, i'm 14 and i LOVE mantids, and spiders :D

and, my english is horrible, i know...

later, i'll introduce myself to you guys! B)

it worked, :lol: cut the cricket open and hold it in front of her mouth B)

she grabbed it with her (i don't know what it is in English buth ;) ) her catch arms...

now, she's eating :)

one problem,

she's adult, can she molt still? :huh:

now again oftopic,

i'm from Flanders, from Aalst, near Gent :D 'spreek je nederlands misschien'

a little introduce, i'm 14 and i LOVE mantids, and spiders :D

and, my english is horrible, i know...

later, i'll introduce myself to you guys! B)
Holding a squashed bug to their mouth is an old technique that I have used many times. If she is adult she is full grown and no more molts.

Last edited by a moderator:
:( that's not funny at all...

can i try to breed with her?

:unsure:
I don't recommend you try breeding with her but she should be able to if you have a male of her own species. B)

i have MANY males :)

she's the only female together with an other, in a group of 10 males :)

Latest posts