S. pretiosa (cryptic mantis) food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishe

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking about getting this species, how is their behavior, and most importantly do you think they will accept foods such as crickets and other crawling prey? or just flying prey? Thanks

They are a very special sp. Pretty easy care aside from their long legs that can be damaged fairly easy. They prefer flying prey and they have a unique dance with the shaking of their raptors.

I started them off with D. melanogaster, and then D. hydei. Around pre-sub/sub, they could tackle houseflies, and as adults, they readily ate blue bottles. I never tried giving them any crawling prey because I didn't want to risk it. :)

Hi, I was thinking about getting this species, how is their behavior, and most importantly do you think they will accept foods such as crickets and other crawling prey? or just flying prey? Thanks
Flying prey only and avoid feeding crickets.

Mine eat anything to be frankly. They prefer smaller items merely because they're smaller and slender, but they will take down any insects which they can handle.

I have had experiences with the cryptic mantis they are very pretty looking mantids but they require a lot of food and if the enclosure is not full of food they will turn canabalistic. Mine would not accept crickets or mealworms but would readily take flying prey. I had 5 cryptic mantises and they would go through 10 flies a day. You need to make sure that there is a lot of prey movement in the tank to stop them turning canabalsitic from Tom

Latest posts