Sacrifice or not to sacrifice

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've fed butterflies before. Only on occasion and only to my flower mantises because their diet requires it. It may also be beneficial. True in terms that they don't have much meat in them, but they do retain some pollen from feeding on nectar. Although not really proven pollen been shown to be good for mantis Ooth production and overall health. Something I've noticed myself. I say if it's not endangered go for it. The mantis will actually eat only the butterfly's body leaving those pretty wings everyone's commenting about perfectly intact. I've actually been collecting the wings and framing them myself ;)

I am not without beneficence. :angel: I made a solution of honey, sugar and warm water. The Red Spotted Purple eagerly lapped it up. It's the first time I've seen a butterfly proboscis in action, close up.

Then, outside to the deck and he flew off to tell his friends of his great adventure, bravely escaping a gruesome doom.

Yeah! Some years some species are more scarce around here, and there is a lot of discussion about habitat loss. But even if they were abundant, I wouldn't personally use them because I enjoy seeing them fluttering around out back. I also will not use dragonflies or honey bees as feeders. I think using wild caught feeders is good, but I don't have as much time to catch them nowadays. When I do, I mostly catch wasps or hornets, house and bb flies that hatch in the garage, and a few moths.

lol you guys are too funny.

but in all seriousness.... What ever happened?

oops.. Didn't see diggers comment. Sorry ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts