Salpidobolus

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypoponera

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of my new species. Actually it is an unidentified species. The genus Salpidobolus originates from Indonesia. These guys are supposed to release a defensive fluid that can cause chemical burns! So far I have handled them several times and nothing bad has happened. I have 10 specimens, but all are immatures only 3 to 3 1/2 inches long. They should max out at about 8 inches and get fairly bulky. 

I really like the color! Too bad they spend most of the time under the surface. I have found that they like rotted Sumac wood. 

They are called "Irian Yaya" by European keepers. Don't have a clue why or what it means though.

c.JPG

d.JPG

e.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You get a species that supposedly sprays a burning liquid, and you decide to handle it!? :lol:  Very nice species, I hope they do well for you! 

You most certainly need to contact me when you get them breeding. ;)

Europeans probably call these "Irian jaya" which is a region in Indonesia though I think it goes by the name West Papua these days. 

"Yaya" was probably just a translating mistake. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You most certainly need to contact me when you get them breeding. ;)

Europeans probably call these "Irian jaya" which is a region in Indonesia though I think it goes by the name West Papua these days. 

"Yaya" was probably just a translating mistake. 
Thanks! I have been wondering where the nickname may have originated. 

I will make certain to let you know if they breed! But that may be a few years down the road.

It has been a long wait... but we have success! The tank is loaded with babies. Seems they have been around for a while as some are dark and fairly long. Oddly, the adults are now commonly found above the surface. And they all like pumpkin!

ndJPGl1.jpg

8aQgdwy.jpg

VKR61qZ.jpg

Latest posts