Salticus scenicus

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan.M

Reaction score
Found this beautiful little jumper on my backyard porch this afternoon!

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

beautiful markings.. it puts me in mind of the 'Heavy Jumpers' (Hyllus diardi) one sometimes sees in my country. Something about the way they move just radiates power

Jumpers are my favorite spider group, though I just slightly like Selenopid "flatties" more. Jumping spiders rival mantises in an awareness of their surroundings. It's neat to see a photo of one from the North. It has more brown on it than the zebras we see here in Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been somewhat hypnotized by the way jumping spiders move, and they are so small that we rarely have the opportunity to see and appreciate their beauty!

I believe this is one of only a few jumping spider species we have up here, and I actually see these zebras quite often. This was the first time however that I had a decent camera on me to take some pics :D

Nice healthy specimen! There's a few of those around my house too. 'Cept I can only ever find little zebra jumper spiderlings instead of big adults.