Saved an iris oratoria with aloe

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have never ever seen a mantis survive any injury to the abdomen. This is a miraculous save. 

Long story short: My mantis was hanging out on the top of the enclosure. My new cat clawed the mantis in the abdominal region. A brownish substance was oozing from her and she could not walk anymore.  She was dying.    She was still able to move her mandible, so I gave her the gel of the aloe plant from my yard. I also used the aloe juice to clean her wound from the outside. She lost size, but the next day she was walking again! I gave her water and more aloe.  By day 3 she actually ate some fruit flies. She was a fighter.  She actually survived a whole month after a cat claw injury to the abdomen.

Just thought i would share that experience.  If you try to use aloe make sure it is the gel and not the latex. Aloe gel is the clear, jelly-like substance found in the inner part of the aloe plant leaf. Aloe latex comes from just under the plant's skin and is yellow in color.

Mantids can be surprisingly resilient. I had one old lady mantis suffer a major rupture to her abdomen. When I found her, she had nearly bled out. She was shaky and barely able to move. I quickly offered water to replenish the fluids she had lost. Simply drinking vastly improved her functions, which I imagine is why the aloe likely helped also as it has a lot of fluids.  I offered some honey later to give to give my girl a boost of glucose. The wound scabbed over on its own with dried blood and she went on to live a couple more months before dying of old age.

Latest posts