Scientific Names

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TySAAAN

Reaction score
How do you guys memorize all the scientific names of Praying Mantids? I find it so hard to do so. The only ones I can remember is Phyllocrania Paradoxa and Popa Spurca, lol.

I remember them like this: Idolo, Budwing, Gongy, Mega mantis, Creo, Chinese, the Brown one, the one that looks like the Brown one, etc, see how easy it can be... :eek:nline2long:

Me too! So much easier, haha. They should make like a trivia or memorizing game to remember all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mantid flash cards, anyone? I know they have playing cards made with all kinds of "themes". Maybe a mantid themed 52 card deck. That would be cool.

I am so obsessed it comes naturally. B) I talk about them so much that my friend already knows several. :lol: but he is seriously obsessed with long scientific words. I was doing a science presentation and he suddenly jumped up and asked how to spell nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate. :lol:

I am obsessed when it comes to animals and nature and such. One look and i've memorized half of the names. My classmates call me 'walking dictionary'. :D

I taught my friend some scientific names. Now he uses them too! You have to really have an interest to memorize huge names :)

It is much easier when you don't use English names. They are impractical e.g. you say budwing and you don't know if it is agrionina, affinis or something completely different. Latin names rock!

It is much easier when you don't use English names. They are impractical e.g. you say budwing and you don't know if it is agrionina, affinis or something completely different. Latin names rock!
Yup. English names are useless. Here's an example not involving mantis: In a pet store, you see a scorpion labeled, "Yellow dune scorpion". That could be hadrurus, or smeringus, the not so dangerous ones, or it could be Leiurus quinquestriatus (deathstalker), Androctonus australis, or parabuthus raudus, which can kill in a single sting

Last edited by a moderator:
Need someone to do a youtube video pronouncing all the latin names very slowely ..then normal .. LOL

you don't need to star in it... just talk...maybe put up the latin name and the common name on a flashcard thingy..LOL video tape the word as you say it..

I only really know the scientific names of the mantids I have had (Deroplatys lobata, rhombodera valida, tenodera sinensis, miomantis binotata, blepharopsis mendica, mantis religiosa, creobroter pictipennis, hierodula majuscula, and heterochaeta orientalis). Spelling is a bit of a pain. Slowly but surely I'm getting used to the names of species I don't have, usually by googling whatever ones I don't know. And I'm sure I butcher the pronunciation as well.

Latest posts