Secret molt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falconerguy

Reaction score
So, since I have gotten my ghostie, he hasn't molted. At least, I think he hasn't. Last week, I noticed he looked significantly larger than usual. I figures he may have molted while I was asleep. Will they eat their shed exoskeleton? That is the only explanation I can think of for not having noticed.

It is very common for them to molt in the middle of the night under the cover of darkness. That being said you should have found a shedding. While mantises can eat sheddings it is highly unlikely a well fed captive one would ever bother munching on something with so little sustanance to it. They also don't typically eat right after shedding. Is there a chance you could have missed seeing the discarded skin? As Dineh mentioned they do also tend to pump up in size some right before a shedding so your mantis could be getting ready to shed if that is the case.

Its possible, but he puffed up like, a week and a half ago and was eating readily until just a few hours ago when he chucked a barely eaten pill bug across the enclosure.

Latest posts