Seizures??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is an old video, over a year ago this happened, but i finally got it on youtube so i figured i'd share it

here u can see a dying male gongy convulsing :eek:

what's happening to it??

Maybe it's dying & the strange spot or wound on its tumny... would have something do with seizure.

My guess is old age. Almost all mantids i had died of old age with similar convultions. I had others dying in a very peaceful way still hanging on a branch or even standing upright.

Note that the legs of insects are controlled by a very independent nervous system separated almost entirely from the main one. This means that even if the brains shuts down the legs can still be twitching if their independet nervous system didn't yet

most of my mantids if are obviously dying get fed off so that nothing is wasted but ive not seen any of my mantids do that....kinda sad :(

I always assumed spasms were created by their bodies loosing control of the fluid pressure in their limbs as they go causing their legs to eventually rebond in the curled position. Thus the shakiness is a loss of control in their limbs but not in the same sense of a human seizure where the brain is causing involentary movements. I've noticed the ones that manage to stay clinging appear far more peaceful as their body fails most likely because gravity is helping to keep their legs in place.

I agree that this is not a "seizure" in the mammalian sense. It is, in fact, an attempt by evil spirits to escape from the body of the mantis that they have invaded. Of course, they don't fool She Who Cannot be Fooled (BbHN).

I agree that this is not a "seizure" in the mammalian sense. It is, in fact, an attempt by evil spirits to escape from the body of the mantis that they have invaded. Of course, they don't fool She Who Cannot be Fooled (BbHN).
I'm sorry Phil but those are not evil spirits leaving the mantis but fighting to leave you. Mantises are such pure creatures that when a tainted human looks at them the spirits are forced to flee and this can resort in violent shaking of your eyes since that is often where they choose to exit. You assume it is the mantis that is convulsing but it is your own puplis. I suggest encircling your bed with mantises to help prevent these possesed episodes if they are happening to you often.

Latest posts