Selenopid spider care?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
I caught a dime sized selenopid spider a few weeks ago and all was well until it stopped eating for nearly a week. It molted and then refused food for a couple more days. I can't seem to find any information on how to care for such a spider. I am now keeping it in a 32oz container and treating it the same as a mantis, but with a piece of bark so it can feel secure and hide. I feel good about the successful molt, but I am worried that I might not be caring for the spider properly. :unsure: After the molt, the spider didn't get much bigger than it was before. If anyone can give me some advice or a website address that I could go to for information, I would feel alot better about keeping this beautiful spider. I hope it gets as big as some of the flatties that have frightened me before, (saucer size!). :eek: It is a challenge to clean out the container because the spider is lightning fast and I get startled when it moves in that way. :lol: Edit: I didn't mention I have been feeding the spider flies and moths. It is back to eating now, but I was surprised at how long it fasted for. I can hardly see it catch its prey, it is so fast! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Along with jumping spiders, selenopids are my favorite (spiders) because of their perfect symmetry. They are also very cryptic on various rocks, etc. I have a pet one that I caught two years ago in Arizona. Their need for food is minimal, though they probably grow more quickly when fed more often. Mine has finally matured out as a male.

Here's a photo of one my dad placed his hand next to at his home in Jalisco, Mexico. They call them wall spiders in those parts. My parents mostly let them be. My wife and I let the one in the room we slept in this summer (at their house) be. They don't come after people and aren't dangerous, etc. Their speed is totally mind boggling as they make blurry laps around the inside of a vial or deli cup.

Glad to meet another fan of flatties!

selenopid_spider_chapala2.jpg

my spiders rarely eat that much so i wouldnt worry to much about it

Along with jumping spiders, selenopids are my favorite (spiders) because of their perfect symmetry. They are also very cryptic on various rocks, etc. I have a pet one that I caught two years ago in Arizona. Their need for food is minimal, though they probably grow more quickly when fed more often. Mine has finally matured out as a male.

Here's a photo of one my dad placed his hand next to at his home in Jalisco, Mexico. They call them wall spiders in those parts. My parents mostly let them be. My wife and I let the one in the room we slept in this summer (at their house) be. They don't come after people and aren't dangerous, etc. Their speed is totally mind boggling as they make blurry laps around the inside of a vial or deli cup.

Glad to meet another fan of flatties!
It would be nice to know that it could live for longer than mantids. I actually planned on catching one for a while, mainly because I was afraid of spiders. There are a lot of them around where I live. I have never seen anything move so fast. I am afraid to try to photograph it because I don't want to lose it. It was difficult to catch because of its agility and camoflage. It actually got away from me when I switched out its container and it took a good 10 minutes to catch it again. :lol: I like it when it raises its body to be seen when it is disturbed. :eek: I am becoming a fan of many spiders lately, I have just been chewed out for bringing my silver garden spider in the house, (It actually froze over here this morning). I have been feeding her since she hatched. I had her mother in my yard earlier this year and witnessed the hatching of her egg case. I am still a little frightened of spiders, even though they fascinate me lately. :D

Thanks for pic, are they in ohio?
I am not sure but I think the species I have is tropical. I have heard plenty of horror stories about people encountering them when they visited Florida. I have had one come out from behind my moms picture frame and accidentally pounce on my hand when I was dusting. :eek: I have never been bitten, but I can imagine that it could happen.

The spider just impressed me again. :D Not only is it the fastest moving thing that I have ever seen, but it can eat while still catching more prey. I decided to feed it some fruit flys and dumped what I thought was too many flies into the spiders container. The spider is working on eating at least 15 fruit flys at once. It just keeps catching them and collecting them into one big fruit fly meatball! :eek: It doesn't seem to be using any silk either, it's abdomen is still pointing behind it, flat as can be.

I've seen various spiders (mainly tarantulas) catch multiple prey items, but 15 must be some kind of record!

Maybe Florida has a native flattie or two.

I've seen various spiders (mainly tarantulas) catch multiple prey items, but 15 must be some kind of record!

Maybe Florida has a native flattie or two.
I can't seem to find much info on selenopidae of the U.S. and many of the creatures that I see here in S. Florida are invasive. I don't know the exact species that I have, but it is one of the coolest things that I have kept.

The flightless fruit flys that I fed it last night were small in comparison to the spider. I guess that is why it caught so many. They just kept climbing up to where the spider rests, making them easy targets. :lol:

Anyway, it looks like I no longer have a flatty...

Now it's a fatty! :lol:

Aww maaan, I have a photo without size reference already, but I would like to try to get more photos. Hopefully it won't run. This should be exciting. Btw, as I write this post, my daughter just spotted one on the wall that looks to be the same size but with bigger palps. Hopefully I can have a mating pair! :D Both spiders have a leg span that is like a nickel.

I tried to catch that male, but the cup and card technique failed when I was teetering on the edge of my daughter's dresser. I couldn't safely come down with my hands full, and the spider went around the other side of the card toward my hand, and vanished. Now I feel that it might have went in my clothes. :unsure: :eek: This would be easier if I weren't so startled by the fast darting behavior. No matter what I tell myself, when they move like that, I panic. :(

This is her,(I assume it is a female), without size reference. I will try to set something up so I can do a size reference, without losing her. And, while making this post, my daughter spotted the male, and I captured him! :D

My,(assumed female),spider's fat belly. :lol:

The male I captured today,(I will assume it is a male by his large pair of palps).

I suppose they are more like the size of a quarter, rather than a nickel, depending on their leg positions. :D

I have no idea what to do about introducing them. If anyone has experience in these matters, please feel free to inform me. I have never even heard of people keeping them until Peter C's. post. Even info on how and when to introduce other similar species for mating, will be helpful. :)

I haven't seen the male spider eat yet. <_< He seems to be getting more comfortable than he was the first couple of days, he was scrunched up pretty small for a while, but now he is spread out on his bark, looking normal. :)

Latest posts