Selling Mantises at Reptile Shows?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PragmaticHominid

Reaction score
Hi all, 

After about a five year break I am looking to get involved in mantises as a hobby/small business once again. 

I was advised a long time ago by another breeder that selling at reptile expos is a good idea. 

Does anyone here have experience selling at these kinds of venues, and what advice would you offer to someone just starting out? 

I have not done this. I am also thinking about it. It really depends on the attitude of the person or persons running the event. They are many state laws governing species of reptiles. I would suggested you have a range of prices from high to low. You lure customers with low price and in the future after some success sell them orchids mantis. Feeders of course. Also other items to sell like reptiles and amphibians. The more choices the better chance ton make sales. I have no idea where you are located. I have axolotls, newts and shrimp for sale.

Before you do this, you'd probably have to get a permit to be able to sell.

- MantisGirl13

I saw Carolina mantises for sale at a local reptile show. Not sure about the legalities of selling exotic species without a permit...

I'm pretty sure you can sell natives but need a permit for exotics.

- MantisGirl13

Every seller in the hobby that sells to people without permits is doing so illegally. It is illegal to own any non-native/non-naturalized mantis in the US without a PPQ 526 permit from USDA-APHIS. Despite the illegality, I still see plenty of people selling exotic mantids at reptile shows. 

same for Phasmids, I see a lot of them for sale in reptile shows, but obviously that's a nono

Definitely need a permit and you'd have to say where you got your mantids. Native species and(I believe) along with the CHinese and european mantis are the only ones allowed for sale. Anyway, we already have some really interesting species like the unicorn mantids, Gonatista grisea, various stagmomantis, and brunneria borealis.

It's illegal to sell any mantis in California even if it's native like the California mantis itself. Took me 3 local shops to finally figure out why they're not for sale in store. I'm not sure about other specific states having similar rules.

It's illegal to sell any mantis in California even if it's native like the California mantis itself. Took me 3 local shops to finally figure out why they're not for sale in store. I'm not sure about other specific states having similar rules.
I have never seen any CA law or regulation about this. Do you have any links? Also, as I mentioned, all exotics are illegal on the federal level, so even if CA has extra rules, it does not make any difference. 

Amongst the multiple shops I visit two of them are reputable and pretty knowledgeable. Not sure the depth of it but they said the same thing telling me I won't find any shop selling mantis or native species because it's illegal in California. That's about all the proof I have unfortunately and no reptile shows here sell mantis' or bring it either. 

Latest posts