Separating Males & Females

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sufistic

Reaction score
I've read up on this and it seems that there's a difference of opinion regarding whether or not the males will be desensitized to female pheromones if kept in the same room. Since I'm living in an apartment (most of us in Singapore do) and space is an issue, I'd like to know whether it's really necessary to separate the males and females. If it is, how far should they be separated?

Oh keeping them in the same room is not a problem I keep all my males and females in the same room but in their own containers so yes its ok to keep them in the same room and just make sure there is no escapees though!

Some say keeping them in the same room can desensitize the male to the female's pheromones; but I don't think it has been proven either way. If you're having bad luck with mating them after keeping them in the same room, it wouldn't hurt to try removing the males to a separate room for a couple of days and then trying again.

Some say keeping them in the same room can desensitize the male to the female's pheromones; but I don't think it has been proven either way. If you're having bad luck with mating them after keeping them in the same room, it wouldn't hurt to try removing the males to a separate room for a couple of days and then trying again.
Thanks for the reply Becky. I'm not sure whether my male is desensitized or he's just isn't ready. The females would walk in front of him, he'd take a look and then proceed to either clean himself up or climb up the females and continue climbing up! He doesn't seem at all interested to mate.

I've never seen it make any difference.

I find that I totatly have to remove a lot of my species to get it to haappen, sorry I have stuttering fingers tonite. my smaller species, do well in the same room and cage, bigger ones just dont, that what happens here anyways.

I find that I totatly have to remove a lot of my species to get it to haappen, sorry I have stuttering fingers tonite. my smaller species, do well in the same room and cage, bigger ones just dont, that what happens here anyways.
You may be right. Our T.elegans doesn't seem to have any issues but the bigger ones are not yet interested in mating.

I think its okay to keep the mantid females and males sub adult or adults togother in the same room ive done that and had no roblems i Just dont think the male is ready to mate with them some male mantids jump on the female right away some are careless about the female and then you put it back in a week and the little guys hormones are going crazyy and his intenna's are pointing right at her and then they do there business so just give it time and the male will do his thing when he's good and ready maybe he wants to work out more waving back and forth lol..Good luck with that.

Even if a male becomes desensitized to a females pheromones in close proxcimity, visual cues should take over.
That's true.

I think its okay to keep the mantid females and males sub adult or adults togother in the same room ive done that and had no roblems i Just dont think the male is ready to mate with them some male mantids jump on the female right away some are careless about the female and then you put it back in a week and the little guys hormones are going crazyy and his intenna's are pointing right at her and then they do there business so just give it time and the male will do his thing when he's good and ready maybe he wants to work out more waving back and forth lol..Good luck with that.
This is true too. I think it's more to do with whether or not they're ready. My Orchids just mated, and I didn't separate them into different rooms. In fact, I placed both the male and fat female into a large tank and just leave them be. A couple hours later they connected.

Yeah your defenitly on the right track keep us updated... :)
Rather than start a new thread, I might as well continue here.

A couple of mating pics of our wild-caught Orchids:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Let's hope she lays an ooth or two.

Second wild-caught female mated with my only wild-caught male after the male was rested for three days. To stay on topic, I did not separate the male into another room away from the females. I'm guessing they're just ready.

photo5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Third and last female mated today. The only male I have is awesome, he connected immediately upon mounting the females now.

photo.jpg

Latest posts