serial killer mantis eats grasshopper

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ns22

Reaction score
Hi, I am nine years old and this is my first post. I have been capturing, feeding, raising, studying and releasing mantises for about five years now. Today just before dinner I fed dinner to my mantis housed in a butterfly net. Dinner consisted of a grasshopper I caught in the backyard. First they stared at each other for about five minutes and I walked away so that they wouldn't be disturbed. When I came back, the mantis had its prey in its forearms and the grasshopper had bloody blotches all over its head. (This killed my dad's appetite.) It eventually ate the entire grasshopper except for its abdomen.

I will write about other exciting things in future.

Welcome! I've enjoyed mantids and other insects every since I was little, too.

Insect "blood" is called hemolymph. :) Do you house your mantis in the butterfly net that you'd catch food with, or do you mean a net cage?

I agree! Hopefully we can get some pictures in the future. ;)

My daughter absolutely loves bugs, I hope she keeps an interest in them like you. None of my mantids seem to like hoppers, so I stick with flies and mealworms for now.

Welcome to the forums!

Latest posts