Setting up my mantis vivariums

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuzu

Reaction score
tumblr_omrzjtnGGO1sq8npto1_400.jpg
tumblr_omrzjtnGGO1sq8npto2_400.jpg

Today I got to start setting up my mantis vivs! Left will be for an orchid, right will be for a giant asian (hence more greenery). The moss on the branches/logs is real, and so is the fern in the right viv! I got them off ebay, PM me if you want to know the seller since these are very nice and perfect for vivariums! The stones are beautiful ones I got off etsy intended for bonsai planters. I wanted a very specific type of rock, haha. Substrate is zoo med eco earth.

The aluminum in the top lids still need to be replaced with fiberglass mesh, and I'm waiting on some fake flowers from Mantisplace for the final touches!

Edit: Forgot to mention, these are exo terra nano terrariums 8 x 8 x 12 inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. will be interesting to see how the plants grow and fill in.     My only concern is the beautiful rocks. Not the softest landing surface for a mantis, imho.

Nice. will be interesting to see how the plants grow and fill in.     My only concern is the beautiful rocks. Not the softest landing surface for a mantis, imho.
This is true! When the fake flowers come in I will put them on top of some of the rocks. :)

Really nice setups. I think your mantises will love them. :D

Great job! Your mantises will be loving life :D  

Wow, very pretty!
Thank you all! Setting up vivariums is one of my absolute favorite things, especially the satisfaction of getting to see an animal live happily in them. :)

Should have another update tonight, the giant Asian viv is almost finished. Just need to possibly add in some sticks from outside for more climbing options, and hopefully switch the mesh for both to fiberglass soon. I had a whole roll of fiberglass mesh for when I was setting up my dubia roach bins, but can't seem to find the thing. 

For the orchid viv I ordered another bark with live fern and moss like the one on the floor of the other tank. That should be here Friday along with the last of my fake flowers from mantisplace, so expect another update then!

In the meantime, I'm considering getting isopods and springtails, but I'm not sure if I'll need them. Plus I don't want the isopods munching on the moss and fern haha.

Aaaand they're done! The bottom container is from mantisplace. :)  The mantises will be moved into these when they are bigger.

tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo1_250.jpg
tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo2_250.jpg
tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo3_250.jpg

tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo4_250.jpg
tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo5_250.jpg
tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo6_250.jpg

tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo7_250.jpg
tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo8_250.jpg
tumblr_onfwfzGDfj1w89tmdo9_250.jpg

They look great. I'd highly recommend adding some hydro balls or some sort of water drainage with a false bottom separating the dirt. That way you wont have to worry about mold and your ferns will grow better. 

They look great. I'd highly recommend adding some hydro balls or some sort of water drainage with a false bottom separating the dirt. That way you wont have to worry about mold and your ferns will grow better. 
The ferns aren't planted in the substrate, they're attached to bark. They only need to be misted, so a drainage layer isn't really necessary. :)  

Hi! I used to have eco earth in mine, but changed it out for an abg mix substrate. It was recommended per this website (http://www.neherpetoculture.com/horticulture)when looking through their 101/102 guide on vivariums. I also emailed them and was recommended to do this as well. Your vivariums are beautiful and I figured I'd pass this along.

I have an old version of my terrarium/vivarium uploaded on the forum here and will be posting an updated one when my ghosts move in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me a long time to learn why to use a drainage layer. Among many other things, it gives a great place for isopods and other biological cleaners to live around and thrive. Uniform gradual hydration was possible. Just wetting the top only made it hard and compacted, bone dry underneath. Once the habitat was "mature" and balanced so easy to care for.

In later years the few times I set up with kids I skipped the pebbles layer. To the best of my memory it was never as successful as earlier set ups. LOL I even thought for a while the 2 boys were messing with each other thru the pets. When granddaughters got into buggy-fisshhy stuff, we all decided to go back to old old way with newly available gear. Worked great.

My only mysterious death came using a habitat with no drainage layer. She grew fine there, final molt was totally fine. This was to be my first attempt at breeding with her as the first pair. Duh! Bout the time I thought to do something about this missing layer I was too late. Yes there were a few other factors that a drainage layer would have prevented.

Sorry this is so long but frankly this minor mistake of mine has (with a few other things) shown me a new light on all this. After these I will not be keeping non-native mantis.

Keep in mind these are just the thoughts of an elderly man with a low tolerance for giving pain.

@Zuzu Man how I wish I could have gotten mine to look half as good as yours. Think I heard once "Grandpa makes neat stuff, but he might need some art classes." Real talent you have.

Latest posts