sexing carolinas

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota

Reaction score
hi i am not sure on how to tell what gender my Stagmomantis Carolina are one is a L2 and three of them are at L3, i have no idea on how do verify their gender, nayone that can help?

thanks,

dakota

Hi Dakota,

Well, it will be very difficult with that size, you would need a lot of magnification. But the males have 7 maybe 8 segments, and the females usually have 6. Ypu will be able to tewll apart a male and female easily if you have a pair, as their addominal segments will look a lot more, less, wider thinner.

Cheers,

Ian

i can't make it hold still is there any way that i can tell by like the way they move or hunting style?

thanks,

dakota

My God, Dakota.. aren't you listening ??? IT'S DIFFICULT AT THIS SIZE.

Just try to raise them all until they're L6. Then you can tell what sexes they are. No-one can sex them this young. As for hunting or moving... males and females hunt and move the same way.... colouration off their eyes changes during day / night, so that's no way to tell the sex either.

sorry i only mentioned the eye thing becuase on of my mantids eyes stay the same all the time. sorry

thanks,

dakota

Latest posts