Sexing Immature carolina mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frack

Reaction score
Hi, Ive been finding alot of carolina mantids about 1-2" around and I cant tell what sex they are. My camera sucks so I cant take a pic sorry. The small ones Ive found have wings that go about 3/4 of the way down there abdomens but there bellys dont look like all the pics of females Ive seen. I have some mature males and they dont look exactly like those either but then that could be just cause there not full grown. Does anyone know if the males wings are fully extended down the length of there abdomen when there young? Or anyway of telling them apart while there young I would greatly apreciate it. Thx!

There is nothing more simple than sexing adult mantids. It's the nymphs that can be hard for some people. In the case of stagmomantis it is even easier. Stagmomantis females have short wings that do not cover the abdomen. The males are very petite with long wings that go past the abdomen.

FEMALE:

femalecarolina.jpg

MALE:

male.jpg

Here is a generic link as well that will cover most:

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7110

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention, if you're finding them with wings they are adults.

Thx, they are easy to tell apart when there full grown, I have a male thats about 4" and its easy to tell its male but the ones that are smaller I have no idea, they do have wings so there adults even though there that much smaller? The small ones have a body like a male but wings like a female so I cant tell. So if they have wings already does that mean they wont grow anymore? Maybe there a deferent species then but I dont think so. I try to count the segments but Im not so good at it just yet. I plan on getting a camera soon it would make things like this so much easier, plus it would be nice to show off all my pets lol.

Thx, they are easy to tell apart when there full grown, I have a male thats about 4" and its easy to tell its male but the ones that are smaller I have no idea, they do have wings so there adults even though there that much smaller? The small ones have a body like a male but wings like a female so I cant tell. So if they have wings already does that mean they wont grow anymore? Maybe there a deferent species then but I dont think so. I try to count the segments but Im not so good at it just yet. I plan on getting a camera soon it would make things like this so much easier, plus it would be nice to show off all my pets lol.
It sounds like you have another speices too. No carolina mantis gets 4". If they have wings they are adults and are done growing. You probably have both a carolina and chinese. Sexing adults is easy with both. Click on the link in my first reply at the bottom. Both male and female chinese have full length wings but the other differences are pretty obvious. Course a pic would be most helpful.

wow, you were right, I measured them to see and the male that I thought was close to 4" is actually about 2.3" and the ones I said where 1-2" are about 1.3" long. I guess my fishermens eye was playing tricks on me lol. It really surprised me I was off by that much. I looked at some pics of chinese mantids and I dont think thats what I have, the male I have looks identical to the one you posted here and the smaller ones look just like it also but there lighter color and there wings dont quite go all the way down. Thx!

wow, you were right, I measured them to see and the male that I thought was close to 4" is actually about 2.3" and the ones I said where 1-2" are about 1.3" long. I guess my fishermens eye was playing tricks on me lol. It really surprised me I was off by that much. I looked at some pics of chinese mantids and I dont think thats what I have, the male I have looks identical to the one you posted here and the smaller ones look just like it also but there lighter color and there wings dont quite go all the way down. Thx!
Stagmomantis comes in a few different colors. The gray like in the pic above, green, and different shades of each of those. Males are sometimes nearly black and some are black with green legs, and a few are green.

Turns out that Im pretty sure now that the smaller ones are a different species, Thesprotia graminis. Thx go to Yen saw on that one, if he wouldnt have mentioned them to me I woulda thought they were little S. carolinas forever.

Frack, thanks for bringing the mantis with you and let me have a chance to see the mantis (Also thanks for the turkish roaches!). The mantis you found is actually neither S. carolina (which you already found out earlier) nor T. graminis. It is actually of Oligonicella sp. Most likely Oligonicella scudderi. Glad to see another species found around Houston area and survived Ike!!! I took a few pics of this species. It is an adult male. I am sure you should be able to find more female of this species, but it won't be as easy as the male which were attracted by light and fly. Adult female is wingless and mainly stay on ground. Good to actually see another member here in person. :)

am3.jpg

am2.jpg

am1.jpg

Cool, thx for solving the mystery. :D Ill keep my eye out for a female, and let you know if I find one. And thank you for the mantids, there awsome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts