She did it!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love2read

Reaction score
My Orchid girl did it! She laid her first ooth! :D

Now let's see if I can get it to successfully hatch. ;) I'm keeping it at the same temp as the mantids(70-75) and misting the container every other day(removing the ooth before misting, so it doesn't get wet). Does anyone have any other tips for me so I don't screw it up? :p

DSC_1309.JPG

yea, I have a tip ,.... send it to me! no, really send it! haha, if you do not mist it, I guarantee it will not hatch. Do you not realize in the wild it gets wet?

Hibiscusmile- Everything I've read says to keep the humidity high by misting regularly, but be very careful not to get the ooths wet because if they don't try completely between mistings then they could end up getting mold, which would kill all the babies. Is this not true? :/

I mist the container really well and it has a little bit of coconut fiber in the bottom to help hold in the moisture. The ooth is glued to the lid of the container, so I remove the lid all the way before misting, that way the ooth itself doesn't get wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always mist ooths. Do you think they stay dry in the wild? Only issue is you should make sure things dry out in between waterings. Those seem like very low temperatures for orchids.

As long as ventilation is good, u will not get mold, only mold I ever seen on any ooth is where they are packed wet in shipping, seen plenty of that, but never, NEVER I repeat on just misting an ooth. Take it from Rick and myself, we are old school ooth hatchers.

just went to Peters link...., he may of said it, but gee,.... don't know how to say this,..... go by what we said. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts