She laid an ooth! Now I have a ton of questions!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCapricorn

Reaction score
I'll post pictures as soon as I can, but how long could it take for it to hatch at around 70º F? The ooth was laid by Angus, the female I mated over a month ago. The two were connected for about 24 hours and he was made a meal of unfortunately, but I am certain this ooth is fertile!

Now I read that D. lobata ooths can hatch over 100 nymphs. Is there any way to keep them all alive long enough for them to reach L2?

Several times I got baby mantises from Peter Clausen they came in these tall sturdy plastic vials with thin white lids. Is there any place that sells these? I might need a bunch to eventually separate the D. lobata nymphs into their own containers, and also a strong container to ship them in when the time comes.

Lobata are pretty communal until later on in life when the females get bigger than the males. Just make sure you keep them well fed and thing it should be alright. Mine used to just walk all over each other and they didn't even pop at each other.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can, but how long could it take for it to hatch at around 70º F? The ooth was laid by Angus, the female I mated over a month ago. The two were connected for about 24 hours and he was made a meal of unfortunately, but I am certain this ooth is fertile!

Now I read that D. lobata ooths can hatch over 100 nymphs. Is there any way to keep them all alive long enough for them to reach L2?

Several times I got baby mantises from Peter Clausen they came in these tall sturdy plastic vials with thin white lids. Is there any place that sells these? I might need a bunch to eventually separate the D. lobata nymphs into their own containers, and also a strong container to ship them in when the time comes.
You should not be able to keep even nearly 100% L1 nymphs. Good thing, too. Can you imagine what would happen to their environment if every pair yielded 50% survival until mating age? If one pair's mating yields 6 ooths, say 600 nymphs, and only four of that six hundred survive and mate, that would double next year's population. After 10 years, at that rate, you'd end up with a population 1024 times greater than the original, what the good book describes as the plague of mantids.

If you write Peter Clausen, he may be able to sell you some! :D