SHE LAID!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elake

Reaction score
after days and days shes laid an ooth on a log!!

shes staying in that same spot right beside it!

what do i do now??

I think its sweet they stay near it to guard it! Give her food and water, she will take both with gusto. Watch your fingers though, I find my girls are more defensive when "guarding" her new oothacae.

I think its sweet they stay near it to guard it! Give her food and water, she will take both with gusto. Watch your fingers though, I find my girls are more defensive when "guarding" her new oothacae.
I have seen no evidence for ooth guarding. Mantids don't move all that much, especially in captivity stuck in an often small cage. It is likely they're exhausted after making an ooth as well, but there is no guarding.

I dont quite mean a deliberate act, I notice my girls are reluctant to leave it and are extra irritable when they are there. I guess I would be too!

.I find it difficult to remove them from the fake tree where they do thier laying.They strike out at me and try to bite. I feed them where they are and after a day or two they are more willing to move to thier cage.

Hmmm. I know we are not projecting the maternal instinct to guard the ooth but my little oxyopsis has stayed in the corner where she laid the ooth almost a week ago. My religiosa last year laid them in the same corner and also stayed in that corner every chance she had. Perhaps some recognition of what they are because of instinct? Plus being in captivity so not having the chance to move away from them?

Grats Elake :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts