She Started Twitching?! I need ASAP HELP!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LynArtist

Reaction score
So it's been a few hours since she stopped responding to everything, like antenna drooping, no responses to brushes (I tried to lightly pet her before but when she jerked I left her alone), and that. I even brushed the antenna, as it moving seemed like a reliable indicator that she was still alive or dead at the time, and nothing. So I thought she finally passed away.

So I come back to my room, as I wanted to be with her for her last minutes, and she suddenly twitches and suddenly shakes now?? I was alerted cause I heard her claws scrape her water cup. She's done it 5 times unprovoked, and 2 times PROVOKED.

I don't think I can do anything for her at this point though.

It's as if she literally came back to life and it scared the heck out of me as a first time mantis owner.

Is she dead and this is like a normal thing? Should I attempt euthanization??? I don't want to just shove her terrarium in the freezer, are there any other methods??

Last edited by a moderator:
hould I attempt euthanization??? I don't want to just shove her terrarium in the freezer, are there any other methods??
Yes you should. Sorry about that. The freezer is the easiest option trust me. The other options are... a bit traumatizing.

I never got the chance to euthanize her sadly, as other people are really iffy about leaving a mantid in the same place as your frozen food, but she did pass away within hours of the spasms for good. Completely limb and slouched, and no longer having the death grip of her water dish. I buried her by the pear tree and left her water dish for her, putting a few wild flowers I found in her empty dish. I kept her favorite stick though for my future mantises. I just hope she didn't suffer too much. I might buy a mini fridge for future euthanizations so another Mantis wont have to suffer under my care.

Rest In Peace Midori.

Midori.jpg

im so sorry for ur loss. I read ur other post and its in no way ur fault. She was probably too old. I found 4 adult females outside, and 3/4 died within 3 days due to infections in their abdomens. Sometimes we just get unlucky. I reccomend buying a mantis as a nymph next time :)

I reccomend buying a mantis as a nymph next time
I actually am thinking of buying a Fourth Instar mantis. I'm looking at the Giant Asian Mantis, and if I do buy one, I'll CERTAINLY order a big enough terrarium! If I can take care of one from L4, I may think of buying even an L1.

I actually am thinking of buying a Fourth Instar mantis. I'm looking at the Giant Asian Mantis, and if I do buy one, I'll CERTAINLY order a big enough terrarium! If I can take care of one from L4, I may think of buying even an L1.
People don't sell L1, but I think L3-L4 is a good idea so its already well established. Don't get a terrarium too big, 32-64 ounce deli cups work find until giant Asians reach pre-sub. Once you make a terrarium, post a pic of it and let us critique it. There are so many hazards that can fit in such a small space.

FYI, a good breeder almost never sells L1 mantids as they are too fragile. An L4 Giant Asian would be perfect for you!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts