Shelob's new lair

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon

Reaction score
Well a friend on a plant forum I frequent asked me if he could name my Chromatopelma "Shelob". So said sure though it may turn out that "Shelob" is a "Helob". And while I know that "Lord of the Rings" fans may be disappointed in that I made no effort to mimic the movie setting, well here it is. (Sorry this is rather picture heavy but some shots just seemed to be clearer for certain details.)

From the "back" of the enclosure:

46ec5b2d.jpg

99e4295b.jpg

From the front:

8b5b5b91.jpg

ec1821f3.jpg

67772012.jpg

Through the open mouth of the jar:

233063b7.jpg

bf5f4e81.jpg

Shelob exploring her/his new domain:

7dc99870.jpg

Shelob dancing the Tarantella after having caught her/his "dance partner"

82e46067.jpg

Some parts of the skeleton have already gotten tossed around a bit between the actions of the crickets and the T ... but I figured that would happen. And while I was hoping Shelob would choose to hide out in the little cubbyhole formed by the dry riverbed and the rocks, it at least did decide to start making its web hide behind and on top of the rocks .... so at least the general desired area. I'll be interested to see how the look develops as Shelob continues to decorate.

Awesome! Quite artistic, this LotR fan approves! The movies are some of my favorites but they're just one interpretation of Tolkien's work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments. :)

Nice. You'll have to find some tiny hobbits.
Don't know if they actually make any that small. LOL And considering that making the skeleton was a bit of a challenge, don't know that I'll be up to the challenge of making decent looking hobbits. ;)

IF you want the full experience of LotR you gotta read the books! (not that u havnt' lol)
The books were excellant, but I do have to say they did a great job translating it to film -- far better than I had expected it to turn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree, one the better books to film translations. I can't wait to see the 2 part Hobbit movies coming in 2013!