Shield ID and finding out the sex

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uhzero

Reaction score
hey guys! i just got 2 mantids at an insect and reptile expo, a budwing and a shield, the only problem is that i'm not sure exactly what type of shield it is, could you guys help me out? also, i'm a noob at mantids so if you guys could help me out with the sexes, that'd be awesome.

here are some pics of the shield.

1621ta1.jpg

2s6tqo5.jpg

and some pics of my budwing.

6r4hs0.jpg

by the 2x/3x rule the enclosure i had were way too big so i put a Plexiglas panel in the middle with some non-toxic hot glue to partition the enclosure into two halves, the stick is so that the partition reaches the lid so they can't climb over and kill each other.

anyway, i hope these pics are enough to show the sexes and the exact species that the shield is. otherwise i can always take more pictures.

looks like what mine looked like when mine were sub adults!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its possible that it might be a rhombodera basalis but could be wrong but did you remember if it had the name of the species at the spot where you bought it?

Shield is a male. Need to see the underside of the budwings abdomen to know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
the budwing looks like a female but need other people to take a look or have a better view of the budwing to be sure!

It would be best if you could take a pic of the under sides of each of there abdomins to properly sex them. My guess would be the shield is a pre sub-adult female. The budwing looks more like a pre sub-adult male to me.

That shield is a male I am sure. You can see all the segments.