Shield Mantis, RHOMBODERA sp. "Thailand"

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkrai283

Reaction score
[25.01.15]

Picked up a pair of these beauties that were said to be "giants" a few years ago. Even though people said that they didn't turn out to be as large as they were said to be, they're still a beautiful sp. IMO.

IMG_2385 by Darkrai283, on Flickr

IMG_2379 by Darkrai283, on Flickr

IMG_2389 by Darkrai283, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous! I wound up with a lady of this species, too. I picked her off a hedge around a parking lot that housed several other nymphs (who all turned out to be heirodula sp, except her)!
I obtained mine as an L1, she's sub now and she's bigger than all my adult Hierodula sp already o___o biggest mantis I've owned, yet!
Are yours as temperamental as mine is? She's not very aggressive, but she'll threat display on a hair trigger.
I love the pink chest/belly this species has...and their slender features :D they're like--less clunky, streamlined Hierodula sp haha!

She sure is pretty... Yeah... I think when they were naming some of these... they were throwing around the term "Giant" too quickly... LOL

Congrats on your new pets... Keep us updated...

I think when they were naming some of these... they were throwing around the term "Giant" too quickly... LOL
Don't get me wrong Dmina, they are pretty large for a Rhombodera sp. as the females reach 12cm (4.7 inches) ... it's just that they're not as large as they were advertised to be at first. :D haha

(I do not own these pics so I linked them)

Adult female:

RhomboderaspThaiGiant08-12-201112-48-30.jpg

Adult male:

thailand_riesen_mantis_gottesanbete.jpg

Gorgeous! I wound up with a lady of this species, too. I picked her off a hedge around a parking lot that housed several other nymphs (who all turned out to be heirodula sp, except her)!

I obtained mine as an L1, she's sub now and she's bigger than all my adult Hierodula sp already o___o biggest mantis I've owned, yet!

Are yours as temperamental as mine is? She's not very aggressive, but she'll threat display on a hair trigger.

I love the pink chest/belly this species has...and their slender features :D they're like--less clunky, streamlined Hierodula sp haha!
Nice! Yes, I love the red prosternum. Just imagine how much more impressive this Rhombodera sp. would look if they had that classic 'shield'! :)

Mine are very aggressive and they run after their prey rather than slowly stalking them like other aggressive species. The person who introduced this species (a very respected breeder who has been collecting and breeding mantids for a few decades) said that the adult males would rival against an adult female mega mantis. (Plistospilota guineensis)

Mine are very aggressive and they run after their prey rather than slowly stalking them like other aggressive species.
Yeah, mine too (though she's not the most observant, once she sees a prey item, it's a gonner). When I said "not very aggressive" I meant in terms of temper. She gets very cranky at me, and will threat display more than I've ever seen from any other species--but she'll never actually attempt an attack of any sort haha! She'd much rather flee the scene, or if she can't do that, then she'll just give up on the scare tactics and resign to what ever fate I have in store for her (usually involving a camera lens hahaha). I was wondering if yours get moody at you, as well? Or if I was just saddled with an especially bratty one XD

Very nice photos. They are giant at 4.7" compared to any I've had as adult at least. My Carolina mantis was only 2.25" as a adult, so more than double, I'd say giant too. ;)

Don't get me wrong Dmina, they are pretty large for a Rhombodera sp. as the females reach 12cm (4.7 inches) ... it's just that they're not as large as they were advertised to be at first. :D haha

(I do not own these pics so I linked them)

Adult female:

RhomboderaspThaiGiant08-12-201112-48-30.jpg

Adult male:

thailand_riesen_mantis_gottesanbete.jpg
LOL... well that is a giant compared to my Hestiasula major - Giant Boxer mantis

LOL... well that is a giant compared to my Hestiasula major - Giant Boxer mantis
Yes, but most species are giant compared to a 1" Hestiasula adult. ;) Just not sure what they were thinking when calling it a Giant Boxer.
lol.gif