Shield mantis success

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGIGA

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
I've been away from the forum for a long time, but I'm back to report good news. A shield mantis laid her first ootheca last night!

IMG_8680.JPG

I have 10 females, 7 of which have mated. Just try to imagine how many oothecae I will have in a few months. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been away from the forum for a long time, but I'm back to report good news. A shield mantis laid her first ootheca last nightI have 10 more females, 7 of which have mated. Just try to imagine how many oothecae I will have in a few months. :)
Very cool! You'll be able to start your own shield mantis farm! I have one adult male and about seven subs that I have just started feeding on bees, so I should be in business soon!

I've been away from the forum for a long time, but I'm back to report good news. A shield mantis laid her first ootheca last night!
IMG_8680.JPG

I have 10 females, 7 of which have mated. Just try to imagine how many oothecae I will have in a few months. :)
yeah, I want some to. and congratzz :lol: :) :)

Thanks for all your comments, guys. I'm sure I'll have more than plenty to go around in a month or two. In the mean time, I need to start mass producing fruit flies again! I recall that these nymphs have a habit of trying to eat FFs out of another mantis' arms.

Hey, congrats man! I have 5 of these as nymphs right now. Got them from Katnapper. They are a good, sturdy species! I have a video I made of me trying to feed an injured one :p

What is that female living in? Appears to be a 32 oz cup which I would think is too small. Nice ooth though.

What is that female living in? Appears to be a 32 oz cup which I would think is too small. Nice ooth though.
This one is actually living in a 24oz container. Yes, I agree, it's quite small. Other than 32oz containers though, I can't think of what else would be both efficient and economical.

This one is actually living in a 24oz container. Yes, I agree, it's quite small. Other than 32oz containers though, I can't think of what else would be both efficient and economical.
I use those 2 1/2 gallon mini aquariums. I cut an extra notch in the middle so I can divide it into thirds. Each space is the perfect size for one of these. Yes, these are a little more expensive but they come with the glass dividers and you can get the screen lids for them. I think I have four that I bought a few years ago. They look nice and work great. And of course you can divide them in half or use the whole tank for one mantis if you don't have enough mantids to divide into thirds.

I use those 2 1/2 gallon mini aquariums. I cut an extra notch in the middle so I can divide it into thirds. Each space is the perfect size for one of these. Yes, these are a little more expensive but they come with the glass dividers and you can get the screen lids for them. I think I have four that I bought a few years ago. They look nice and work great. And of course you can divide them in half or use the whole tank for one mantis if you don't have enough mantids to divide into thirds.
I would need like 5 of these at the current moment to house all my mantises. How much do they cost and are they stackable?

Latest posts