Shield mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Male nymph. Just a couple quick shots.

mantids521.jpg

mantids522.jpg

mantids520.jpg

mantids519.jpg

im waiting to get this species of graham..i love there face..great subjects

im waiting to get this species of graham..i love there face..great subjects
I thought you didnt believe these were a sheilded mantis? you could have had some of mine for some P whalbergii ??

Last edited by a moderator:
How are yours doing Rick? do you find them particularily thirsty?

My first ooth hatched and within a fortnight i'd lost half of them, spraying 3-4 times a day stopped then dropping off and i never suffered these losses again.

Mind you they were very well ventilated at first :)

I thought you didnt believe these were a sheilded mantis? you could have had some of mine for some P whalbergii ??
i dont have walbergie nympths yet..i have occertelle and id be happy to swap some..L5. ;) pm me/

How are yours doing Rick? do you find them particularily thirsty?My first ooth hatched and within a fortnight i'd lost half of them, spraying 3-4 times a day stopped then dropping off and i never suffered these losses again.

Mind you they were very well ventilated at first :)
They are doing very well like most other med to large mantids I have kept. They ignore the water when I mist. You will find most newborn nymphs are thirsty. Losing most of them is normal for most mantids. I started with probably 300+ and I have about ten now.

They are doing very well like most other med to large mantids I have kept. They ignore the water when I mist. You will find most newborn nymphs are thirsty. Losing most of them is normal for most mantids. I started with probably 300+ and I have about ten now.
Yeah i know young uns like the humidity more but i have found with these (Yens stock) that they like a little more than usual, in fact i was quite taken aback by them. Wondered if it was the same with yours :)

I hardly lost any from this with the 2nd - 4th oothecae hatches but had so many i left them to canablize in the end.

300nymphs down to only ten!! Did you let cannibalism take cares of the extra or they all just drop dead? I didn't keep them anymore, but remember my first generation were generally doing fine with daily misting. I also noticed that using wild type fruit flies reduce cannibalism too.

300nymphs down to only ten!! Did you let cannibalism take cares of the extra or they all just drop dead? I didn't keep them anymore, but remember my first generation were generally doing fine with daily misting. I also noticed that using wild type fruit flies reduce cannibalism too.
It was a mixture of both. I kept them together for awhile. I don't need or want anymore than about what I have now. One just molted into subadult.

Latest posts