Shining Prince

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeesKnees

Reaction score
I love jumping spiders, but I've never gone out of my way to catch and document the variety I've found on the island.
Today, I found a rather large (as far as jumpers go) male, and I couldn't help myself. I snatched him up, took him home, took a few quick shots of him, and the rewarded him with a little leaf-hopper treat for his patience before releasing him into my garden.

tumblr_nfboigIJVu1tkp6iao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfboigIJVu1tkp6iao3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfboigIJVu1tkp6iao4_1280.jpg

He's some manner of Cosmophasis sp. is my guess. But I'm not very spider savvy...
There are a few different shiny/'metallic' colored species that I've found around these parts--but they've always been really quite tiny. This was the first, significantly larger specimen I've found with this level of bling.

Very colorful and interesting spider. The same spot changes from yellow/red to jet black at different angles - great metallic shine. It's funny how the white seems to block in it's "face" and the large black band on top gives it a uni-brow eyebrow. :D

Last edited by a moderator: