Shipping dead stuff

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGIGA

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on how to ship dead insects/mantises. Last time, the recipient said the mantis was shattered into pieces.

I saw something that might work. Place the mantis flat on a piece of stiff cardboard. Wrap the mantis and cardboard tightly with clear plastic wrap. Staple all around the mantis. This should hold the mantis firmly in place. Place the cardboard diagonally into a box and add tissue paper as packing material.

That's not a bad idea.

You could use Schmitt Boxes - usually just cardboard boxes with foam in the bottom. You can insert a pin into the insect, then insert the pin into the foam, and it should stay in place. For large specimens, say, a female Tenodera, you might use two pins or pin a piece of wire under her abdomen to keep it from sagging.

These are pretty cheap. It's cheaper and easier still if you just make your own: get any old box, cut styrofoam to fit the bottom, pin bug in there, secure with packing peanuts or gently wrap, ship, and enjoy.

Hope that helps..

As mentioned, carding the bug is necessary for shipping but cellophane is normally used rather than plastic wrap.

dead stuff is more likely to break and shatter than living stuff because dead stuff is dry and brittle. i think the solution then is to ship the stuff alive, and when the recipient receives his stuff, he can then kill it however he likes. there, problem solved.

Dead specimen can easily break into pieces when dried up. I placed the dead specimen in a small plastic bag and then wrap with cotton and place into a vial, then ship it in a box. It works alright. BUt reposition it will be difficult as the dead insect shape is rigid by then.

why do u want to ship a dead insect anyways?
For identification and collection. A well preserved dead specimen can worth more than a live one.

The last one I shipped arrived fine. I cut a Styrofoam cup in half, but the mantis on the inner side of the cup kind of like a boat with one end missing. Then, I stabbed toothpicks around the mantis so it wouldn't move. Lastly, I wrapped the whole thing in plastic put it in a well padded box. I still think there are better ways.

Not all of us can travel clear across the country to pick up a specimen. I am putting together a collection for use at the local elementry schools and the Boy Scout pack. I need dead specimens to pin and have on display. The mantid section has proven to be a big hit with all the kids. Thanks OGIGA and I will try to send you a photo of the collection!

Dead specimen can easily break into pieces when dried up. I placed the dead specimen in a small plastic bag and then wrap with cotton and place into a vial, then ship it in a box. It works alright. BUt reposition it will be difficult as the dead insect shape is rigid by then.
why do u want to ship a dead insect anyways?
For identification and collection. A well preserved dead specimen can worth more than a live one.
i used to be an avid insect collector, and i became REALLY REALLY skilled at mounting insects so that they looks alive. takes a lot of smartly placed pins at the right angles to achieve this.to "reposition" dried insects, you can loosen them up so that they're as loose as if they've just died. how? dump the dried specimen in a bottle of water and let it soak. depending on the size of the specimen, it can take anywhere from a day or so to soften the specimen up. just make sure you don't leave it in there too long or it will rot.l i don't recommend soaking in alcohol as it can discolor the insect.

Not all of us can travel clear across the country to pick up a specimen. I am putting together a collection for use at the local elementry schools and the Boy Scout pack. I need dead specimens to pin and have on display. The mantid section has proven to be a big hit with all the kids. Thanks OGIGA and I will try to send you a photo of the collection!
Looking forward to it!

To speed up the relaxing, I use a homemade humidifing chamber. A large mouthed canning jar packed with wet paper towels. Place the specimen on a metal plate and slide in on top of the towels. Place the lid on tightly. Put in the oven and set to 170 F. Most dried specimens can be GENTLY repositioned after about an hour or so.

Yes i have also heard of people wrapping the dead specimen that has gone rigid with tissue paper and then soaked it in the water til it gets soft, then reposition it and dried it up quickly in oven (a very risky step).

Latest posts