Shipping Ooths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksun

Reaction score
How do the experts on here ship Ooths? I'm going to ship one of my three down south and want to ensure I do it right. They are all hanging in 40oz cups, foam plug, foam in the bottom, a bit of excelsior in the cups.

Any help is, as always, appreciated.

How do the experts on here ship Ooths? I'm going to ship one of my three down south and want to ensure I do it right. They are all hanging in 40oz cups, foam plug, foam in the bottom, a bit of excelsior in the cups.Any help is, as always, appreciated.
I'm no expert. But it sounds fine to me if you suspect there is a chance of them hatching in the post.... except I would either hot glue the excelsior and foam in the bottom down or remove it (remove would probably be better) so it doesn't squash the newborns if they do hatch. You know those guys at the post play football with the packages. And even something as light weight as excelsior, foam, or paper towel can crush them if it's bouncing around in there.

If the ooth is fairly fresh and not expected to hatch soon, even with generously considering delays in the post, I wouldn't go to all that trouble. I'd just pack to ensure it wouldn't get crushed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a low heat glue gun to attach them, but some people use a needle and thread and sew them on, either way is fine, just keep the excelsior in the cup if they are close to hatching and u should be fine, do beware on the species u r shipin may need a heat pack too, depending on where they are going, Denver has a lot of snow and we still get down past 32 here in OHIO ;)

Hi Rick, I read those but wanted more clarification on shipping Ooths rather than apply methods for shipping nymphs to Ooths and mess something up.Wayne
You can apply the same techniques. I loosely wrap ooths in a SLIGHTLY damp paper towel and put into a small container where it cannot move around much and then put that into the box with padding. For ooths that must not get cold I use insulated boxes and heat packs.

Latest posts