Should I let my adult male ghost fly?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorManny

Reaction score
So, my ghost mantis, Nosferatu, is finally an adult! However, I haven't really let him out to fly since he's not crazy about being held. Is it a good idea to let them out to fly once in awhile? 

MajorManny,

This is not meant to say don't fly your guy.  But, I had a very active Ghost male, Casper, who made a dash for it anytime I opened his tank.  He wasn't careful or maybe not a very good flyer and he wound up in odd places where I had to rescue him.  Day 40 he was flying like he was being chased (by a ghost?) and being quite sloppy about it and on day 41, I found him dead in his tank.  Don't know what happened but Coral lost her mate too early.  My Budwing and Hierodula males also like to fly.  Good luck with yours.

Thank you so much for your responses! Honestly, that's been my biggest reservation about letting him out to fly. Though he's pretty timid-natured and docile (he's not sick or anything--he's just been this way since he was a nymph, so it's just his 'personality'), I still am nervous about him flying into trouble. 

My main question is that would it be bad for his health not to let him out to fly? He doesn't seem to have any desire to do so when I take him out to mist his enclosure once a week or clean the inside, but his wings seem to be in perfect shape. Is it bad for his health not to use them? His enclosure is just a 32oz so he can't really do much in there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
MajorManny,

This is not meant to say don't fly your guy.  But, I had a very active Ghost male, Casper, who made a dash for it anytime I opened his tank.  He wasn't careful or maybe not a very good flyer and he wound up in odd places where I had to rescue him.  Day 40 he was flying like he was being chased (by a ghost?) and being quite sloppy about it and on day 41, I found him dead in his tank.  Don't know what happened but Coral lost her mate too early.  My Budwing and Hierodula males also like to fly.  Good luck with yours.
Also, Casper is a super adorable/appropriate name. I'm sorry you lost him prematurely. Nosferatu and my other mantis, Sybil, are my first mantids so I haven't had to deal with a death yet. I'm hoping I'll be okay. I really got them to help me deal with a break-up and to have something to care for since I can't have my cat in my apartment at school. They've really been helpful for me and it's been fun watching them grow. I'll have to see how I'll handle their deaths before I get another one or start breeding, though. I may take it too hard for it to be worth it. 

My main question is that would it be bad for his health not to let him out to fly? He doesn't seem to have any desire to do so when I take him out to mist his enclosure once a week or clean the inside, but his wings seem to be in perfect shape. Is it bad for his health not to use them? His enclosure is just a 32oz so he can't really do much in there. 
I've often wondered this myself too. Whether or not it may harm them to not let them fly or "exercise." But out of fear of not wanting them to end up in a place i may not be able to get to or get hurt, i have limited fly time to times where i will be right there with them. 

Think of exotic birds for instance...they get their wings clipped and often live very long lives. Flying is a basic, natural habit for them and by altering that; it doesn't seem to affect them. You may see a more active mantis however. He may climb all over his encloser or "pace" the area. Lol. They are smart insects; but i honestly don't think you are hurting his health by limiting his flying time. :)  

If I didn't have 3 cats my mantids would be more active much to the chagrin of my wife. ;)

A little flight in a environment safe from ceiling fans and other dangers, where you can easily put them back up afterwards, can be a good thing. I know many of mine like to do a bit of flying when I go to another room for a photo shoot (males and females at times). :D

I've often wondered this myself too. Whether or not it may harm them to not let them fly or "exercise." But out of fear of not wanting them to end up in a place i may not be able to get to or get hurt, i have limited fly time to times where i will be right there with them. 

Think of exotic birds for instance...they get their wings clipped and often live very long lives. Flying is a basic, natural habit for them and by altering that; it doesn't seem to affect them. You may see a more active mantis however. He may climb all over his encloser or "pace" the area. Lol. They are smart insects; but i honestly don't think you are hurting his health by limiting his flying time. :)  
Using exotic birds as an example is a terrible analogy in this case. Clipping wings does cause a lot of problems in birds both mentally and physically. Most species of birds kept as pets are designed to get around in the air.

Male mantises on the other hand don't even have wings until they reach adulthood. In the wild they mostly use their wings to hunt down lady mantises in the cover of darkness. I think having a decent size cage for them probably does more than anything for their health, as I've seen males over stress themselves in the wee hours of the night when they try to roam but have no room to do so. Letting them free roam is not a necessity, and they won't loose their ability to use their wings because of it. That being said I think it is nice to them some stimulation out of their cages. It is also a lot of fun having them fly to you. As others mentioned however you have to be careful as it is easy for the boys to get themselves in trouble with flying.

Not a male, but Precarious has a great video on his youtube depicting the elegance often found with mantis flights, especially when walls are involved.

I think the lady in the video needs more practice! It does help in the long run. 

I let mine fly around abit but I watch and follow them just in case of trouble. I block off the top and back of my fridge and oven so the mantis cant get stuck there. Just use common sense.

Using exotic birds as an example is a terrible analogy in this case. Clipping wings does cause a lot of problems in birds both mentally and physically. Most species of birds kept as pets are designed to get around in the air.

Male mantises on the other hand don't even have wings until they reach adulthood. In the wild they mostly use their wings to hunt down lady mantises in the cover of darkness. I think having a decent size cage for them probably does more than anything for their health, as I've seen males over stress themselves in the wee hours of the night when they try to roam but have no room to do so. Letting them free roam is not a necessity, and they won't loose their ability to use their wings because of it. That being said I think it is nice to them some stimulation out of their cages. It is also a lot of fun having them fly to you. As others mentioned however you have to be careful as it is easy for the boys to get themselves in trouble with flying.
Ahh, what a beautiful video! Thank you so much for your input too. What size of enclosure do you think he should have? He's still in a 32oz deli cup and he doesn't seem uncomfortable/distressed, but I would like to get bigger enclosures for both of my mantises since I also have a female orchid who will eventually grow too big for the 32oz.

Also, I should mention that he has not flown before. As I said in a response earlier, he's very timid, especially compared to my orchid mantis, and doesn't seem to want to fly. Will I need to give him some encouragement? I wish I could get him to trust me a little more. He doesn't seem to care for honey that much (though he did eat some off of a pin back when he was an L3) so I haven't been able to teach him to crawl on like I did with my orchid. Do you have any tips on how to get him to trust me a little?  I almost feel like letting him fly and having me picking him up will distress him.

(Here's a pic, by the way. He's a lovely boy, but he always holds his arms very close when I'm around. 

nosfie.JPG

Ahh, what a beautiful video! Thank you so much for your input too. What size of enclosure do you think he should have? He's still in a 32oz deli cup and he doesn't seem uncomfortable/distressed, but I would like to get bigger enclosures for both of my mantises since I also have a female orchid who will eventually grow too big for the 32oz.

Also, I should mention that he has not flown before. As I said in a response earlier, he's very timid, especially compared to my orchid mantis, and doesn't seem to want to fly. Will I need to give him some encouragement? I wish I could get him to trust me a little more. He doesn't seem to care for honey that much (though he did eat some off of a pin back when he was an L3) so I haven't been able to teach him to crawl on like I did with my orchid. Do you have any tips on how to get him to trust me a little?  I almost feel like letting him fly and having me picking him up will distress him
I keep my Ghost adults housed individually in a container that is 6" x 6" x 12" (a 2 quart food container) with plenty of room. Usually it is recommended you do 2 to 3 times their length for height and width. Or you can do a bit larger as this caresheet says...

The enclosure of this species of mantis should be at least 3 times the length of the animal in high, and at least 2x the length of the animal in width. For an adult this means is at least 15 cm (6") in height and 10 cm (4") in width. A nice size for a terrarium would be 20 x 20 x 30 cm (8" x 8" x 12"), so there is space for lots of fake plants and perches.
As far as flying, they do it on their own. Some like to be out for awhile before they "warm-up" and want to fly, others may never fly. If you have a skittish male he will likely be on guard and will not fly, unless he tries to escape from you. I've read some stories where people tried various things to actively make them fly, and it usually ended in injury to the mantid so I will not mention those.

To get them to trust you more is a process that is started as a nymph when they are fearless. Once they are adults it is rather difficult for them to become tame at that point (if not impossible). The only surefire ways is to feed him honey or feeders by hand to build trust. Also placing your hand near him as much as possible will help him learn it isn't a threat. If he doesn't run from your hand resting nearby, try to coax him into your hand with your other hand.

If he slaps at your hand or curls in defensive, then back away for awhile as he has had enough. Just keep trying and eventually he may come around. From any mantids I gotten as adults that were not already tamed though I never had any luck changing that - and my first mantid pet would actually run and headbutt my hand whenever it was near. ;)

I keep my Ghost adults housed individually in a container that is 6" x 6" x 12" (a 2 quart food container) with plenty of room. Usually it is recommended you do 2 to 3 times their length for height and width. Or you can do a bit larger as this caresheet says...

As far as flying, they do it on their own. Some like to be out for awhile before they "warm-up" and want to fly, others may never fly. If you have a skittish male he will likely be on guard and will not fly, unless he tries to escape from you. I've read some stories where people tried various things to actively make them fly, and it usually ended in injury to the mantid so I will not mention those.

To get them to trust you more is a process that is started as a nymph when they are fearless. Once they are adults it is rather difficult for them to become tame at that point (if not impossible). The only surefire ways is to feed him honey or feeders by hand to build trust. Also placing your hand near him as much as possible will help him learn it isn't a threat. If he doesn't run from your hand resting nearby, try to coax him into your hand with your other hand.

If he slaps at your hand or curls in defensive, then back away for awhile as he has had enough. Just keep trying and eventually he may come around. From any mantids I gotten as adults that were not already tamed though I never had any luck changing that - and my first mantid pet would actually run and headbutt my hand whenever it was near. ;)
I just flew him yesterday! He was very hesitant at first, but he finally fluttered up to rest on my arm! 

He flew (well...fluttered a short distance) two more times, but they were less impressive.

He's always been a little shy, even as a nymph. Though I never handled him excessively, I did try and 'socialize' him a little more. He's not at all aggressive towards me (like your first little mantis, haha) and will eventually crawl on if he feels like it. I suppose I may just be comparing him to Sybil, who is extremely bold and tame. Perhaps she's a lot tamer than is typical.

(His first landing)

Also, I've got a 32oz for him, so I assume that should be enough room for him, but I'm considering expanding. I've already bought a kritter keeper for Sybil for when she finally molts!

nosfie 1.JPG

I just flew him yesterday! He was very hesitant at first, but he finally fluttered up to rest on my arm! 

He flew (well...fluttered a short distance) two more times, but they were less impressive.

He's always been a little shy, even as a nymph. Though I never handled him excessively, I did try and 'socialize' him a little more. He's not at all aggressive towards me (like your first little mantis, haha) and will eventually crawl on if he feels like it. I suppose I may just be comparing him to Sybil, who is extremely bold and tame. Perhaps she's a lot tamer than is typical.

(His first landing)

Also, I've got a 32oz for him, so I assume that should be enough room for him, but I'm considering expanding. I've already bought a kritter keeper for Sybil for when she finally molts!
Glad to hear he made his maiden flight. :D Indeed, it will take some time for him to get a better feel for it.

Nah, a mantid kept from a nymph will much prefer to be held or sit on a shoulder than in it's habitat. It is amazing how tame they can become with a bit of time. I do know even if a nymph is handled a lot and not much if at all in the last few molts they will lose their tameness - I've had it happen and couldn't get them re-tamed.

A 32oz container only measures in at 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 6" (and tapered too), so that is rather small and comes in half of the recommended size for a Ghost habitat of 8" x 8" x 12". You might want to find something a bit larger so he can have some room to move around. ;)

Latest posts