Showing off some of my new babies!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love2read

Reaction score
Giant Asian

DSC_0689.jpg

Orchid(adult-newly molted)

DSC_0687.jpg

Orchid(sub-adult)

DSC_0684.jpg

DSC_0683.jpg

Deadleaf

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

Ghost

DSC_0665.jpg

DSC_0664.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

What's the visual difference between the 2? I'll try and get some pics of the adults I have(up to 3 now...hubby found me a HUUUGGGEEE female the other day, at least 5"!) for ID-ing. I assumed that they were Chinese since those are the ones that are native to my area(NW Ohio).

What's the visual difference between the 2? I'll try and get some pics of the adults I have(up to 3 now...hubby found me a HUUUGGGEEE female the other day, at least 5"!) for ID-ing. I assumed that they were Chinese since those are the ones that are native to my area(NW Ohio).
I believe that Tenodera sinensis have a yellow spot in between their front arms while Tenodera angustipennis has an orange one and is also the larger of the two species. I think that their ooths are also different shapes, yours looks to be the more elongated shape of a T. angustipennis. T. sinensis are more rounded and globular.

I hope this helps!

Where are you at in NW Ohio as I also live there currently. I'm a zoology student at Kent State but have to find a mantis around here. I'm curious if all your species are T. angustipennis.

Thanks Hibiscusmile! :) Taking pics of my critters is one of my favorite pastimes. <3

I still need to take pics of my wild-caught mantids. Haven't had a chance to yet...too busy cleaning cages(I've got mice, rats, hamsters, and sugar gliders...they take up the majority of my time. I'm the crazy critter lady, lol.). I'll try and get some pics tonight for ID!

AxolotlsAreCoolToo- the breeder I got them from sent me a pretty little combo of colors! :) I was expecting the normal brown ones, but got 3 brown ones, a really dark one(the one in the first pic), and a green one! They're so darn cute!

The visual difference is hard to spot in a picture, however, the ootheca is obviously a augustapennis

Okay, I finally got around to taking pics...

Female #1 is the green one and female #2 is the brown one. I did some digging and I'm pretty sure that #1 is a European mantis and #2 is a Chinese, based on the size, chest spots, and oothecas.

Female #1 is pretty small, about 3" and #2 is huge, 5"+.

DSC_0807.JPG

DSC_0808.JPG

DSC_0815.JPG

DSC_0819.JPG

Here are pics of my male as well...

I caught him and female #1 together. He was trying to mate with her at the time, so I assumed they were the same species. :p He's about 4". I'm guessing he's a Chinese mantis.

DSC_0811.JPG

DSC_0813.JPG

DSC_0810.JPG

Okay, I finally got around to taking pics...

Female #1 is the green one and female #2 is the brown one. I did some digging and I'm pretty sure that #1 is a European mantis and #2 is a Chinese, based on the size, chest spots, and oothecas.

Female #1 is pretty small, about 3" and #2 is huge, 5"+.
First one is the European Mantis (Mantis religosa), the second is Tenodera sinensis.

Latest posts