Sick Chinese Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhongrong

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here and I hope someone can give me some advice.

I have 2 female Chinese mantids that I found outside last fall. They are old and slowing down now, and one of them has been throwing up on and off for days now.

My question is, should I do anything, such as put her outside, where it's very cold out? i.e. put her out of her misery? Or should I just let nature take it's course.

Thanks,

Zhongrong

Hi,I'm new here and I hope someone can give me some advice.

I have 2 female Chinese mantids that I found outside last fall. They are old and slowing down now, and one of them has been throwing up on and off for days now.

My question is, should I do anything, such as put her outside, where it's very cold out? i.e. put her out of her misery? Or should I just let nature take it's course.

Thanks,

Zhongrong
Hard question, Zhongrong. If it were me, I'd just keep taking care of her the best you can until it's obvious she's dying. Then I'd either let nature take it's course or put her in the freezer. If you don't want to prolong or witness the brutal end, you could go ahead and place her outside. You've pretty much covered your choices... not much else you can do unfortunately.

Hi Katnapper,

Thanks for the advice, I just don't know how long it will take; she's been like this for at least a week now. I don't know what will happen next, etc.

BTW, I'm from Illinois as well, but have lived in MA for a long time- still get back to Ill and love to visit!

Z

I'd toss em in the freezer until they are good and stiff. They are at the end of their lives. Nothing you can do.

I like mine to go outside, where God intended them to be, but each person has their rathers. She is old and it is time for the poor ol gal to go, u must let her.

I'd do the same, let her out and let nature take it's course. You really don't want to watch her go and go she will.

Hi Katnapper,Thanks for the advice, I just don't know how long it will take; she's been like this for at least a week now. I don't know what will happen next, etc.

BTW, I'm from Illinois as well, but have lived in MA for a long time- still get back to Ill and love to visit!

Z
Hey Z,

Nice to hear you're from IL originally. :) I have an Uncle in MA, but don't get out there often. ;)

thanks everyone for your honest advice.

If only I was absolutely positive that they're dying- it's very hard to tell!

Z

Hi,I'm new here and I hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks,

Zhongrong
I am going to vote that you put them outside if it is clear that they are dying. I say this because you found them outside and it just seems right that they should die outside where they were born. I suggest that option rather than the freezer. You might want to keep one inside to observe it. This way the next time you care for a mantis you will be aware of the signs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts