Sick Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SntaCruz83

Reaction score
So I've been away from home for three full days and sort of pressed my luck with leaving my mantises unattended (seven of them). One of them died from a bad molt (was sort of expected because of the worst abdomen bend I'd ever seen), and three of the remaining six I think will need some extra care. The first of the three looks painfully skinny and seemed pretty darn lethargic. I misted it a few times and put a couple small moths in there. A few hours later I checked in on it and it had eaten both moths so I think if I'm careful it will make a full recovery.

The second mantis has had one bad raptorial claw since its last molt and I've had to hand feed it a few times in the past. Unfortunately, when I came home it doesn't seem all that interested in eating or drinking and it's actually been at least 3 weeks since its last molt and it's probably only around L3, MAAAYBE L4. I'm not really sure what to do there.

Finally, my most critical case seems to be my only green mantis (L4)that has become extremely lethargic (lies flat on sticks/walls) is disinterested in food (prey or handfed) and seems to struggle to even hang upside down at times. I was successful in getting it to drink some water, but within 20 minutes it had thrown it back up. To be perfectly honest, when I came home last night I was in such a rush to clean out their enclosures I failed to keep track of whether or not this guy had just molted or not and I can't remember. :( His "hugging" of the sticks and walls and puking water does not strike me as pre-molt behavior, but could really use some opinions. He's about 2 inches long at this point.

Hugging the walls is normal behavior to avoid predators. I don't think leaving them for a few days is the cause here. Three days is nothing assuming their conditions were correct. Really nothing you can do for sick mantids I am sorry to say. Make sure their conditions are correct in all aspects and hope they can recover.

There is something wrong for sure when looking at the vid. I've seen that before. Make sure the water is ok first of all and if everything else is right don't bother it too much and stress it out even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Rick. Three days really isnt that long to leave a mantis when you make sure they are welll cared for before and after your trip. All you can really do if your mantids are sick or injured is take care of them the best you can.

Thanks for the response guys. Quick update, mantis #2 actually molted last night after weeks of not. His raptor arm still looks a little gimp but I haven't tried feeding him yet, so I'm not sure. I was able to hand feed mantis #3 a butterfly yesterday night so at least he's eating. Will try again today, but only time will tell. Thanks again. :)

Latest posts