Slowing the growth of a male Orchid Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS... i find that a month-old male is more lady-hungry than a 2-week old one :)

Probably isn't necessary to slow his growth by any drastic measure.

Edit: But i guess it's crucial to keep him as healthy as possible...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I raised orchids I raised both genders exactly the same. There never was a need to "slow down" the growth of the male. Yes, he matured much sooner but it was never an issue.
+1! The males always lasted long enough to mate. If you want your males to grow slower, then why don't you chop a leg off? I personally have never done this, but it cant be any worse then keeping the males cold, and under nurished.
Enough for me. I'll take this real world experience over "theories" and run with it.

Thanks!

here is an example: there are for all intensive purposes 2 stocks of idolos. the Kenyan and the Tanzanian. precarious reported they would not even mate let alone produce viable ooths. that is why the IGM system was created. the IGM system helps prevent people from crossing to stocks. as a hobbyist you will not run into inbreeding problems period. it is way worse to cross breed than to inbreed.
That was only one male!

+1! The males always lasted long enough to mate. If you want your males to grow slower, then why don't you chop a leg off? I personally have never done this, but it cant be any worse then keeping the males cold, and under nurished.
Maybe I'll just cut off one leg on each of the males then and just feed them like the females. The energy will go into replacing the leg, right? Is that what is being suggested? It sounds like an easy solution. A-chopping I will go....

Maybe I'll just cut off one leg on each of the males then and just feed them like the females. The energy will go into replacing the leg, right? Is that what is being suggested? It sounds like an easy solution. A-chopping I will go....
Yes, if you chop any limb off. The time in between each molt will take longer, being the need to regenerate the missing limb. Only two problems with this.

1. After chopping the limb off it can become infected, and the mantis can get sick, and die? There is definitely a risk here!

2. Some people might feel this is just inhumane! :mellow: Of course no one has to know about this. :ph34r:

If you chose to do this it would be best at L2. By the time it's an adult. It would have regenerated a fully functional leg.

There's a lot of seriously wrong stuff in this thread, but your idea about the dangers of crossbreeding different strains of the same species, Gripen, is the most egregiously mistaken, since it contradicts the Biological Species Concept. Now, that concept may be mistaken, but it should at least be acknowledged in a discussion such as this, so that your readers know that youare aware of and disagree with it..

@JCAL: don't you know that biological theories are based on "real life " observation?

@Frogparty: "apterous" simply means "wingless" and can refer to a number of species. It is not the new genus name for D. melanogaster! Also, you are confusing a lab population of homozygous apterous fruit flies with a commercial culture. As you mention, wild flies will contaminate such a culture and they occasionally sneak into commercial cultures, setting up the opportunity for drift to occur, and since the apterous trait only benefits the breeder and not the flies, soon or later, a drift will begin toward the "wild side"! :D

But there is at least one helpful post here. Rick. of course, is right. Husbandry rules!

There's a lot of seriously wrong stuff in this thread, but your idea about the dangers of crossbreeding different strains of the same species, Gripen, is the most egregiously mistaken, since it contradicts the Biological Species Concept. Now, that concept may be mistaken, but it should at least be acknowledged in a discussion such as this, so that your readers know that youare aware of and disagree with it..

@JCAL: don't you know that biological theories are based on "real life " observation?

@Frogparty: "apterous" simply means "wingless" and can refer to a number of species. It is not the new genus name for D. melanogaster! Also, you are confusing a lab population of homozygous apterous fruit flies with a commercial culture. As you mention, wild flies will contaminate such a culture and they occasionally sneak into commercial cultures, setting up the opportunity for drift to occur, and since the apterous trait only benefits the breeder and not the flies, soon or later, a drift will begin toward the "wild side"! :D

But there is at least one helpful post here. Rick. of course, is right. Husbandry rules!
Classic Phil

All I was saying is that personal expierence from members works better than what someone heard. If I missed a biological theory that you want to cite I will read it. I must have missed it in the thread.

Sophophora melanogaster... Sorry. I was thinking wingless to wild type. The fact remains that its not always possible to know what region your mantids are from. Neither Yen nor Buginthebox provided me with locality info so line breeding is impossible. Inbreeding siblings is NEVER the best option. Why else do you think males and females of the same ooth mature at different times to prevent inbreeding. Sure you might not see a bunch of cross eyed banjo playing mantids right away... But it's been proven over and over again that after repeated generations fecundity decreases, juvenile survival decreases, etc etc.

Basic genetics guys and gals. Mamallian animals show negative impacts quickly from inbreeding while amphibians and insects are more "resilient" shall we say, but the negative impacts do pile up.

Sophophora melanogaster... Sorry. I was thinking wingless to wild type. The fact remains that its not always possible to know what region your mantids are from. Neither Yen nor Buginthebox provided me with locality info so line breeding is impossible. Inbreeding siblings is NEVER the best option. Why else do you think males and females of the same ooth mature at different times to prevent inbreeding. Sure you might not see a bunch of cross eyed banjo playing mantids right away... But it's been proven over and over again that after repeated generations fecundity decreases, juvenile survival decreases, etc etc.

Basic genetics guys and gals. Mamallian animals show negative impacts quickly from inbreeding while amphibians and insects are more "resilient" shall we say, but the negative impacts do pile up.
i never said there would not be problems over say 20 gens because there will be. but after a realistic time 5 generations you will NOT have any problems.

Found this(Thanks to Plant from UK mantis)

Scramble competition polygyny is expected when females and resources are widely dispersed and not easily controlled by males, or when there is an abundance of potential mates

during a particularly limited reproductive period (Emlen and Oring 1977; Thornhill and

Alcock 1983). In scrambling species, male fertilisation success depends primarily on the

ability to detect and locate females (Parker 1978; Thornhill and Alcock 1983), with

selection favouring male traits that allow for quick recognition and response to signals and/

or for directed and rapid locomotion. For example, males with longer antennae may be

better at detecting and orienting towards signalling females (Hanks et al. 1996; Bertin and

Cezilly 2003); small males may be faster to reach females if they mature earlier and are

more agile than larger males (for review see Andersson 1994; Vencl 2004; Kasumovic and

Andrade 2009; Moya-Larano et al. 2009); and males with larger legs/wings in relation to

their body size may have a greater locomotory ability that allows them to rapidly find

females (Carroll and Salamon 1995; and see Berwaerts and Van Dyck 2004)..........

I do not know if these are accurate datas though...

Latest posts