Small Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pseudoharpax virescens is the Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis

It only grows up to an inch :p and it looks very exotic.

oops yeah it is, lol i copy pasted that because I didn't know how to spell the scientific name :oops:

and yes, I just got a gambian ooth from Nick :D hope it hatches soon.

Bolbena (Bolbena) hottentotta (IGM Nr. 79)

only about 1.5 cm

Please use your fantasy and make propositions for a common (vernacular) name because it does not exist yet.

Some information: you find this species in some Southern African countries and they also have some boxing behavior like many others.

Is there a list were I could check common "fantasy" names against scientific names? Especially for species new to the hobby it might be interesting to know. If you want new common names for new species in the hobby it might be also good to discuss possible common names e.g. "Lichen mantis" for ?Theopompa ophthalmica? seem not to be a good choice...how should I name the other 50 or so "lichen mantids" (at least some are already in the hobby).
I think you mite bee two smart four the rest of us. :)

Although, I go to Latin Mass, Dominus Vobiscum!

Thanks for the link, great!

But where are the results, the last answer is already old?

@Precious: Sorry I do not understand your statement...you wrote in a kind of slang I do not no as a non native speaker.

I do not want to leave the topic completely: So Metallyticus is of course also a small species :wink:

Sorry to say, that link is all the info I could find. I do not know if the results were ever worked out. Maybe some one could print out all the pages and work out a "complete" listing. Maybe I will try to do that next weekend!

@brancsikia: I understand the confusion when using common name, it is rarely used in German but commonly use in the USA. Unlike German, this hobby is still new in the USA and common name seems to be the popular way to promote this hobby. Obviously the best way to identify a species is via scientific name.

Since when are they called fantasy names? How about common name? I prefer the accepted common name. Saying somebody should choose another hobby because they don't want to learn scientific (latin) names is like saying if you can't spell you shouldn't post a reply on a message forum. :roll: I know the real names but choose not to use them most of the time. Guess I need to find another hobby.
What he said. My education is paramedical and in practice we use common names with patients and with each other. Nomenclature (names) is a huge part of any science but it is pretentious to demand that mantid enthusiasts be degreed in entomology. So bring your maxilla and mandible into occlusion and shut your oral cavity. :)

Precious,

I have said degree and I still use common names were ever possible! I spent many years memorizing latin binomial names. I have found that I remember the common names better! Besides, I have yet to run into another entomologist. So few people I deal with would understand the Latin names anyway.

Entomologists i met here working in Houston Museum (by the way Lucy the fossil exhibition will be here tomorrow!!) used common names too, sometimes if they are really "serious", once a while scientific name can be heard.

I think it is not possible to change the strict use of scientific names instead of common names (and I do not want it cause I also like good common names and if it is promoting the hobbby and a reason why more people are interested in mantids).

But people who want for each species in captivity a common name might have to do a lot of work.

We (or you) are the people that are creating the common names at the moment. Look at this list of some of the species stock of mantids that is currently kept in captivty:

http://www.hotel-grille.de/IGM-Nummern.htm

If we prefer common names we should try to choose useful unique common names for a species. African mantis, ant mantis, lichen mantis can only name a group of species.

I am looking forward to see Hypoponeras listing and assessing the available common names.

You're all right – there’s no better way to sell an insect than to give it an easy to “repeat” and imagination-stimulating common name (for example:Green Leaf, Giant Stick, Giant Malaysian, Devil Flower etc.).

it is pretentious to demand that mantid enthusiasts be degreed in entomology
- didn't know that memorizing a few new words gets you a science degree...

I think this thread is dead, but I am compelled to retort. The insect kingdom is the largest with mantids making up some 2000 species - so it's more than a few words. I'm a latin proponent but some of us are new to the game and the common names are helpful and descriptive.

From the likes of graduates today, I'd say they are handing out degrees for far less than the memorization of a few words. That said, your point is well taken.

As someone who achieved a degree I can say that you are not knowing what you're talking about. This thread is really dead, in many ways...

Just a thought. When searching on the internet I find that much of the time a site that uses the scientific name is more likely to have reliable info.

Latest posts