Snagging Pinheads

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnienhaus

Reaction score
Okay I've driven myself crazy for long enough...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to catch pinhead crickets? I have a large set of tweezers and a makeshift forcepts (it was an old test tube forcepts that I've bent to shape) but it still takes me so long to catch the darn things. And then...I end up killing half of them...Any suggestions?

I usually just dump a small amount into an enclosure, picking them up one buy one seems like way too much effort for a mantis feeding. Why do you feel the need to pick them up individually?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't. You get a plastic tube and put it in their enclosure and they will go inside. Then take tube out and tap them out.

I usually just dump a small amount into an enclosure, picking them up one buy one seems like way too much effort for a mantis feeding. Why do you feel the need to pick them up individually?
I don't know really...I guess I've always done it since my first mantis lol...plus the sphagnum moss at the bottom makes it difficult for the littler ones to catch the pinheads...

I normally open the lid slightly and put it on its side. a few crickets will walk out then i catch them individually and put them in with my mantis :) hope that helped.

Latest posts