So I went to a reptile show...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes... No spiders! ever! but there were a lot of them there... I slid quickly by so I did not disturb any of them..hehe
I could see you sneaking around the tables.
laugh.gif

I just clicked for a larger view of your pictures and saw the "heads" of the Venus Flytraps, very nice. Makes me think of the silly movie line "Feed me Seymour!" (the good one from 1986). :D

I know right! Little shop of horrors... LOL... my plant is a lot smaller...and is on a "No human blood diet"!

I know right! Little shop of horrors... LOL... my plant is a lot smaller...and is on a "No human blood diet"!
Yeah but Audrey II started out tiny too ;) It's really great though, congrats on your plants.

I always wanted a Venus Flytrap when I was younger but never could save enough box tops or whatever to get one from the comics/magazines/etc. From what I heard though it would have been old expired seeds, so I didn't miss anything.

They can generally be kept without dormancy for up to two years before you start seeing the plants grow less vigorous, from my experience.

Some species and varieties of Sarracenia are more tolerant of longer periods of time without dormancy than others. There is a Sarracenia hybrid with Sarracenia purpurea as part of its cross in the greenhouse where I went to school that has been growing for many years without dormancy.

Yeah I think I am going to re-do this planter..but I will wait til I can order plants, to fill in. (when the weather breaks) I can only find fly traps available now..

I think even the moss is wrong... The pitcher plant is getting more brown it seem to me... so I am worried about that one... It is really going to bum me out if I lose it...

Am I able to winter it this late in the year?

Thanks for all your help guys..

Winter through spring is the best time to order North American pitcher plants because this is the time they're dormant and most easily transplanted.

I doubt the brown coloration is the result of lack of dormancy. A symptom of needing dormancy would be decreasing plant size and poor growth, not browning. Death is not an immediate result of witholding dormancy, it's the result of an extremely gradual decline in vigor resulting from lack of dormancy.

Dormancy is not something you can suddenly start, you have to give it gradual decreases in temperature and number of hours of light. It's most likely too late to start dormancy now unless you still have two to three months before spring.

The moss is decorative and is not found a resident of boggy conditions that the carnivorous plants are found in. If it does well, its thick growing habit can easily smother your slow-growing carnivorous plants.

+1 to what others have said

The fly trap and sarracenia will do poorly if left in the terrarium, but will probably die if suddenly put outside for dormancy. I'd take them out of the terrarium and move them to individual pots, but keep them indoors by a windowsill until the weather warms up, them move them outside. They still have a chance to grow into very nice plants. The terrarium would do well for tropical plants. small Nepenthes, tropical sundews like the one already in there, and mexican pinguicula (butterworts) are easy and would do nicely.

I water with the filtered water they sell in machines outside of markets (the ones where you bring a large bottle and fill it up yourself). It is completely free of minerals.

There are many great care sheets on all CP species all over the internet so those would be a great place for additional info.

hope this helps

Thanks you all for all your help.. I have decided to re-do the planter... I have order my media... and will come up with another idea...

Thanks again for all the help...

Was this the Tinley park reptile show in Chicago. I was there if so.
No, It was here in Michigan.. I hear the Chicago show is a big one.. am I correct? The show I went to was in a trade center... It was a nice size.. but when I used to do bird shows... they were huge!

Yes it was very big. So many people you had to squeeze between them. I need to go to a bird show one of these days, sounds like fun.

Wow.. I really want to see the Chicago show... When is the next one?

There is one in October. :) I hear more people go to the one in the fall than in the spring. We planning on going and maybe even sell. Should be a blast.

Wow.. I really want to see the Chicago show... When is the next one?

Oh man... I wanna go then.. Road trip!.. and another birthday present to myself... We should meet up there.. right?.. Whoever is planning on going to the show..

Sounds like fun! at least it does to me..

Latest posts