Some ghost mantis questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosh96

Reaction score
I might be getting one or two ghost mantises soon, so I was wondering-is there anything in particular I need to know about keeping this species?

Can a L3 nymph eat really small crickets, or do I have to order fruit flies or something? I've got a ton of small crickets for my chameleon, so it'd be pretty easy if my mantis could eat some of those. But I can get a fly/fruit fly culture if I have to. Since I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, what do you mean by lots of play with them?

They are easy to take out and be with you, they don't run off like crickets or roaches, they may eat pin heads or 1/4" crickets, but I give mine flies, haven't the time to feed crickets and watch they eat them. plus crickets can eat the mantis, so if feeding them, make sure they eat it.

Thanks for the quick replies! Now, how long do these guys live with proper care?

Generally mantids don't live over a year... So Probably between 6-10 months depending what instar you got them.. What age are you getting them? Oh and if you don't already know when people say instar that means what molt. Eg. First molt after hatching = 1st instar, second molt = 2nd instar etc.

I've read that proper care for a ghost can give it a lifespan up to two years. If your room is kept cool it slows the aging process down as well I think. My ghost is several months old and still only l2 or 3. It has a hard time with crickets unless they are super tiny. Also, you will want to have a pretty small enclosure for a ghost since they won't hunt their food like other mantises. I personally found the ghosts a little harder to care for than the others, all but one died. Creos are a blast because mine would instantly kill and eat anything dropped in the enclosure.

but, like others said, mist daily, and they like warmer temps.

I've read that proper care for a ghost can give it a lifespan up to two years. If your room is kept cool it slows the aging process down as well I think. My ghost is several months old and still only l2 or 3. It has a hard time with crickets unless they are super tiny. Also, you will want to have a pretty small enclosure for a ghost since they won't hunt their food like other mantises. I personally found the ghosts a little harder to care for than the others, all but one died. Creos are a blast because mine would instantly kill and eat anything dropped in the enclosure.

but, like others said, mist daily, and they like warmer temps.
No I don't think they can live for 2 years, that's a little long for any mantid

At room temp in LA area ghosts take around 7-9 months to reach adulthood. The females live longer as adults like most mantis. My ghosts are at L6, I'm expecting at least 4 1/2 more months till adult, I've had them for 4 months. I received them at L2. I believe the females live for about 3-4 months as adults, I'll find out for myself in a few months.