Someone pick a color: brown or green

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntsees

Reaction score
I found this yellow subadult female European mantid. Someone pick a color: brown or green. I will make it become that color in its next and final molt. I hope it will not kick the bucket before that time.

female subadult European.jpg

-------------------

Update (6/14/14): This will be its living conditions until its final molt.

living condition.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im serious about the gold though I caught a male in my yard that was golden colored

Green it is.

Mantiseater, the mantid could easily remain yellow since it's already yellow in the first place. If you were actually referring to a dark yellow/gold color, I don't think the female mantid is capable of becoming that dark of a yellow (at least I haven't seen one yet for a female, although males can become a darker yellow than females). But, I wanted to attempt to show their coloring changing capabilities through a molt, and so I decided to choose green or brown because it'll be discernible from the yellow.

Make it green, brown, yellow and orange

Noname.jpg
Interesting colors. Did you raise it up yourself? When I don't give my mantids (Iris oratoria) any particular color to work on (e.g. yellow, green, brown), a few of them come out similar to yours.

Interesting colors. Did you raise it up yourself? When I don't give my mantids (Iris oratoria) any particular color to work on (e.g. yellow, green, brown), a few of them come out similar to yours.
Yes, that was back in 2004. She died eggbound if I remember correctly.

The only time I found a mantis with similar colors was a male, 3 years ago. Unfortunately it flew away before I could catch it.

I hatched an ooth of this species for the first time this year and I am amazed at the different color ranges I am getting. I have seen some yellow, white, brown, bright green, and some that almost look like they have a pickish colir to them. The yellow ones do seem to be very skiddish.

I hatched an ooth of this species for the first time this year and I am amazed at the different color ranges I am getting. I have seen some yellow, white, brown, bright green, and some that almost look like they have a pickish colir to them. The yellow ones do seem to be very skiddish.

Update: Mission failure. The subadult molted 2 days ago but still remained yellow.

Excuse for failure: I capture the mantid as a subadult. I have no idea how long it has been as subadult prior to capture. Color change requires time and I suspect a longer period is required than 2 1/2 weeks.

Future attempt: Similar attempt but this time, a pre-subadult or younger instar will be used.

The yellow color is beautiful and rare and I don't think you can influence color.

If I could influence color pink would be nice !
Maybe where you are at the color yellow may be rare, but where I'm at, I appreciate greens or browns because yellow is the more abundant color.

If you want a pink mantid, I suspect you try the mantids that may mimic flowers like the orchid mantids or of the sort. Europeans cannot become pink, and I've only seen yellow, green, brown, and combinations/variations of those.

Maybe where you are at the color yellow may be rare, but where I'm at, I appreciate greens or browns because yellow is the more abundant color.

If you want a pink mantid, I suspect you try the mantids that may mimic flowers like the orchid mantids or of the sort. Europeans cannot become pink, and I've only seen yellow, green, brown, and combinations/variations of those.
Other mantises can be pink rarely

IMGP1628.JPG

Fall%2BBugs%2B1.jpg

I guess there needs to be an agreement of the color pink. The european mantid picture I would consider a light brown color. As for the second picture, I have little experience with limbatas so I don't know what ranges of colors they come in. There does seem to be a slight pink in the wings but I can't tell for sure and a pic of the mantid under full sunlight would be useful.

Latest posts