Something strange happened!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazarusMantid

Reaction score
So I was playing with my H. Venosa and I was setting her on one of those microfiber blankets.  The kind that have a more furry side and a less furry side. You guys should know what I'm talking about. So I put her on there she wasn't too keen on it but she suddenly attacked the blanket and tried to eat it! I was able to push her face away from it with a bamboo skewer and she eventually let go. I fed her a large hornworm after that. She's full to bursting and preening happily now.

Anyone else have a story about how your mantis attacked something inanimate and tried to eat it? And was this because she was hungry? I suspect it's possible she got very hungry suddenly. She is an adult and probably about 3-4 weeks away at the most from laying her first infertile ooth.

She likely thought she sensed food. It could have been her own shadow even that triggered the strike. I've had mantises strike at number of things over the years. Even seen a couple go after their own turds when they were hanging low to where it dropped. One of their favorite targets is my computer mouse. They will see the little center wheel moving when I scroll pages and intently stalk down and have a go at it. Never fails to amuse me.

I wouldn't worry about the blanket fibers. She likely didn't get much of anything. Usually with something like a blanket they will let go on their own after a bit of chewing once they realize it doesn't register as edible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did her tarsi get caught on it? She might have felt threatened by the sensation of the blanket. Mantises will grab and attack things if they feel like they're caught or feeling threatened. When they do this, they're not swallowing what they're biting and chewing.

Did her tarsi get caught on it? She might have felt threatened by the sensation of the blanket. Mantises will grab and attack things if they feel like they're caught or feeling threatened. When they do this, they're not swallowing what they're biting and chewing.
Yes! That makes sense! I suspect that that's what might have happened. 

I have to agree with Ranitomeya on this, likely her tarsi become caught on the tiny fibers. Much like the "hairs" on some plants can actually act like tape/glue to any insect - I've seen some around outside that are able to trap ants and other things walking on it, and usually they are forced to bite off their leg in order to free themselves.

I would recommend you avoid letting your mantids touch that blanket in the future, otherwise it may lead to complications.

Regarding stories of mantis attacking things, sure there are plenty of times it's happen. Usually it's movements that catch their attention (including shadows). Take a look at this video... :)

Mine do that with my yarns and spinning fibers. The more I try to get it away from them, the harder they clamp on!

Blowing on the mantis can help getting them to stop.

My P. picta once took a small chunk out of the tip of my finger. For a long time I would offer water droplets off of my finger to let them drink after misting, my other mantids always drank and that was the end of it. Elf decided my finger looked tasty and decided to take a big bite. She would not let go, I had to get my feeding tongs in between her and my finger to make her stop. It was all my fault and a stupid mistake, it took a minute or so to get her to stop without hurting her. Needless to say, I don't offer them water off of my fingers anymore! I find it funny that the only "bad" bite I've gotten over the past few years was from a mantis, not from one of my tarantulas (no bites yet) or my corn snake.  :wacko:

My P. picta once took a small chunk out of the tip of my finger. For a long time I would offer water droplets off of my finger to let them drink after misting, my other mantids always drank and that was the end of it. Elf decided my finger looked tasty and decided to take a big bite. She would not let go, I had to get my feeding tongs in between her and my finger to make her stop. It was all my fault and a stupid mistake, it took a minute or so to get her to stop without hurting her. Needless to say, I don't offer them water off of my fingers anymore! I find it funny that the only "bad" bite I've gotten over the past few years was from a mantis, not from one of my tarantulas (no bites yet) or my corn snake.  :wacko:
Wow that's crazy! Yeah I fed my H. Venosa a mealworm in my palm one time. Owowow! Big mistake! She didn't bite me thank goodness but I got a really good sample of how sharp those raptors really are! Since then I do not get my fingers too close to their mouths anymore! If she can't tell the difference between my skin, I know it's not too unreasonable that she could mistake my finger too!

Latest posts